7

Dawn broke out of its shell and exploded in the sky. I had been driving for what seems like years but was only 14 hours and still had 6 hours left before I reached my destination.
The girls would still be in bed but Nathan would be awake because he's always awake as soon as light hits his window. I just hope he's not mad.
To my left a gas station appeared. I decided I could use a break so I pull into the station. Putting the car into park I climb out. Surveying my surroundings, I spotted two other cars and a motorcycle. Who would be out in cold weather on a motorcycle? A mental person that's who.
I stepped onto the sidewalk. Arriving at the door I take one last look around. Same old gas station. I pulled open the door and stepped inside. The door jingled as it closed behind me. I look around. There was a man at the counter talking to some woman behind the counter. I cocked my ear to the side listening on to their conversation.
" Sorry sir. I can't sell you this beer without your ID." The woman took the glass bottle of beer off the counter and put it under the counter.
" Surely you can let me have the beer this one time."
" Sorry I can't without ID."
The guy nodded and turned from the woman. I pretended to be examining the sunglasses on the rack beside me as he passed me mumbling to himself.
After the guy had left I looked back to see the guy. He jumps in his truck and speed away. I glance at the parking lot and see that the motorcycle was still there. Wonder where the motorcycles owner is? I shrug my shoulders and turn back around. The cashier was busy on her phone probably scrolling through Facebook rethinking her life choices so I head towards the snacks in the back.
" Let's see. Do I want Doritos or Cheetos?" I rub my hand on my chin as I looked at the bag of Doritos staring up at me.
" Doritos."
I whip around to see a guy with sea blue eyes like mine and hair the color of sand standing there with his hands in his pockets as he stared at me intently. He had on a light blue t-shirt that went well with his eye color, dark blue jeans and black Nike tennis shoes. He starts towards me shifting his gaze to the Doritos on the rack.
" You definitely want Doritos." He reached over me and grabbed the bag of Doritos.
I caught a whiff of cologne and tried not to lean in for more. I jerked my head back up as he straightened his back. He handed me the bag of chips. Our hands touched and a shiver went down my spine.
" My names Dylan." He said. His perfect white teeth smiled down at me.
I just stood there in a trance with my eyes wide open and my mouth slightly opened. Breaking out of my trance I wondered if this is the part where I tell him my name?
I swallow and my throat makes a noise as my saliva goes down." My names Alessandra."
" Alessandra, " he looked like he was trying to figure out the story behind my name, " I like it."
I giggled which was something I do not do often.
" So, Alessandra. What is a girl like you doing out here in the middle of nowhere?"
" Running away." I clasped a hand over my mouth surprised that just came out.
He looked a little surprise but quickly smiled that perfect little smile.
" Why would you be running away?"
" I'm on my way to a secret faculty to save my brother." My eyes went wide.
I was afraid he would run out of the gas station screaming but all he did was nod.
" I guess I'll leave you to it." He turned around and walked away with a bounce in his step.
Oh, my goodness. I could feel the heat on my cheeks coming. The bag of chips in my hands was slippery with my palm sweat. Snapping back into reality I hurried down the row. I practically threw the bag of chips onto the counter. The woman looked up from her phone with wide eyes. It took a moment for her to regain her composure.
" Is this all?" She asked with a bored tone.
I looked around trying to find what else I was buying that wasn't on the counter. When I couldn't find anything else I nodded to the cashier.
"$2.05."
I handed her three dollars. She popped open the machine and got out 95 cents. I took it from her hands and shoved it into my backpack.
" Thanks."
She nodded. I pushed open the door with my arm. The sunlight poured onto my face as I walked towards the car. Grabbing for the door handle I throw the bag of chips in the passenger seat. I climb in and start the car. The car sputters to life as I pull out of the gas station.
" Peter here I come."