35

"Augh!" I moan. A throbbing pain inside my head keeps coming and going. I try to remember what happened. The image of Isabelle slamming against Ethan's shield is the last thing my mind can think of. I didn't know about Ethan's power until he came back from his pouting and jumped right into the fight. During the fight I asked him to keep Isabelle from getting to me. Looks like he fulfilled his job.
My vision slowly comes back to me. When it does I look around my holding cell. It's a tiny box with stone walls. This time I'm not strapped to a pole. Instead I'm strapped into a chair by my legs and wrists. I struggle against the straps with the strength flowing inside me. Goodness these straps are good! They don't budge an inch the whole time I struggle against them. I slump back in my chair exhausted. Okay, Alessandra, think. How do I get out here? There is only one exit and that's the door right in front of me. Maybe the chair is movable. I try to pull the chair towards the door. No luck! The chair does not move. Then it's like someone opens the door to the outside. The room lights up with a blinding yellow light. I squint my eyes against the light. Who in the world is causing me this blinding pain behind my eyes? When the light dims a little I open one of my eyes halfway. A dark shape is standing inside the entrance of the doorway.
"Hello, Alessandra." A deep voice introduces itself.
Two more shapes emerge from behind him. They come towards me and I struggle against the unbreakable straps. I have no idea why I keep struggling when I know they don't budge. The shapes come to a rest beside me. On the right a hand extends itself and on the left another hand extends itself. Slowly, the straps unbound themselves from the chair. Okay, maybe the reason they didn't budge was because they weren't ordinary straps. I didn't know powers like these shapes harness existed. My arms roll over the sides of the chair and my legs go limp. They must have been numb while the straps were on.
"Help her up." The deep voice barks at the shapes.
They grab both of my arms and slings them across their shoulders. Slowly, they push me up out of the chair. When my feet hit the floor, they turn into jelly. They notice this and pull me up off the floor a few inches. So, they are practically carrying me. Wow, this is embarrassing! They carry me across the tiny room and out into the light. When my vision clears I take a good look at the shapes carrying me. My eyes must be deceiving me. On my right is a skinny middle-aged man with brown hair and green eyes. On my left is a skinny middle-aged man with brown hair and green eyes. They must be twins, no wonder they have the same power. They both got the power gene when they were born. My eyes land on the deep voice guy. It's just what I expected, the guy is the boss. I don't remember him having such a deep voice. Maybe I'm just imagining things.
"How are you doing, Alessandra?" Mr. Brown asks me.
"Not bad. Just feel a little weak." I tell him. I don't feel like being sarcastic right now.
"Don't worry. You won't be standing a lot today."
"What will I be doing?" I ask him, confused.
"We have a visitor for you."
"Okay, what kind of visitor?" I ask him, confused even more.
"Just a visitor."
"Wow, that's so much information."
"Don't start with me." His tone becoming serious quick.
The conversation goes quiet. I watch the hallway go by. In a few minutes we're walking inside the office. My eyes land on a young boy with brown hair sitting in a chair. The twins sit me gently down in the empty chair next to the young boy. I find out the young boy is Ethan. Why did I think he was a young boy? He must look like a young boy from the back. His eyes land on me.
"Are you okay?" he asks me with a concerned voice.
"Yeah."
"We have visitor for you today, Alessandra. Someone that flew all the way out here just for you." Mr. Brown looks at me with a serious face.
"You are not making any sense." I tell him.
He looks down at his watch. "It's about time for her to show up."
"Who?"
"I looked at your files some more. When I looked deeper I found out something very interesting."
"Who and what in the world are you talking about for goodness sakes?"
"I'm sure he's talking about me." A woman's voice speaks up.
No, it can't be. I recognize that voice, the same voice that used to sing me to sleep at night. The one that cooked an amazing lasagna and always made me wash the dishes. I never found out why, though. I slowly turn around afraid to see who I think it is. Looking at their black flats, I slowly make my way up to their face. Passing the blue jeans rolled up to make capris, then the short-sleeved black shirt, their gold earrings shining against their tan skin, and their brown hair with blonde highlights going well with their soft blue eyes. Their face stretches into a smile full of perfect white teeth. My eyes meet theirs when I'm done taking them in.
"Mom."