chapter 26. the mafia billionaire's secretary

"Anyone willing to marry me?"

Brandon is surprised, though amused. I can easily see that he brings the easiness and playfulness to the group, a milder version of what I already do— (because we all know without me, Evan and Brie would've fell apart in a friends-to-lover's quarrel long ago). He tilts his head down at me in greeting. "Nice to meet you too."

And of course, Evan is the one to shatter Brandon's nice vibes. "Why do you have a massive shit stain all over you?"

"Feels so good to be back." I sigh in mock content. "It's chocolate milk."

"And you decided to take a swim in it, or...?"

"It's complicated. Kind of. But unimportant," I dismiss as Brie dashes to and from the kitchen with a towel for me. Drying myself off as best I can, I reveal, "We're all going to die if I don't marry one of you two."

The three of them stare at me incredulously.

"Not it!" Evan calls first.

"No, man. Valentine was my girlfriend first," Brandon protests, shoving him with his shoulder. Classic football player.

"But you're more patient. You take the crazy one." Evan shoves back.

I blink, watching as two of my supposed love interests fight over not wanting me. I'm asking this seriously now, am I still the main character?"

"Evan, lay off! I'm gone for a few months and you're already on my girlfriend."

"Your 'girlfriend' wants me too. Why do you think she hasn't taken you back yet?" Evan snarls, a taunting grin on his face.

"Hey, you immature little shits!" I shout, grabbing the attention of the entire table. "You're going to disappear from existence, and you're having an argument about who Brie should pick? It's not even your decision to make! So you two need to either piss off or listen up!"

Evan's smile immediately drops. "I thought you fixed it."

I frown, giving a confused glance to Brie. She didn't tell them?

"I thought it'd be better if you were the one to say it," she says gently, placing her hand in mine. The touch is warm and loving, a rare comfort in a time like this, and I can't help but tear up as I realize how supportive she is despite her resentment of her destiny as an antagonist. Stupid feelings. I will the glossiness away from my eyes and look to Evan and Brandon.

"Mom and Jasmine are gone," I state bluntly. Like ripping off a bandage, except that it's more of a stab wound than a mere papercut.

"I'm sorry for your loss," Brandon says. Evan walks over and wraps an arm around me in a side hug, patting my shoulder. Slightly awkward, but I appreciate the effort.

For some reason, their sincerity makes it worse. It makes this real. I press my palms to my eyes, forcing my unruly emotions down, and then with a short sniffle, I'm back to normal.

"Now, I'm going to change. You two, play rock paper scissors to the death. Whoever loses goes with me to the county office to elope with me."

-⚘-

"I can't believe I'm getting married at 18. And to Iris," Evan grumbles from the passenger seat, playing with the zipper on his leather jacket. He turns to look at me, cautious, yet curious. "Can you explain everything, Iris? I don't see how marriage is going to help anything.

I let out a small breath, thrumming my fingers against the wheel. "It's a long story."

"It's a long drive," Brandon calls from the backseat, shrugging.