Broken promise

Sep 2020

Lams

Trigger warning: mention of 911

It all started when I accidentally bumped into him on the sidewalk.

" My name is Alexander Hamilton"

He said.

He was the love of my life.

Until I had to give him up.

~~~~

Alex groaned as he sat up, the warmth that was once beside him leaving.

He stumbled into the kitchen, a figure preparing something and packing it into a bag. Alex hugged the mans waist from behind.

" Go back to bed. I'll be home before you know I'm gone" John smiled.

" Call in sick?" Alexander sleepily asked. " Sorry babes, when I get home we can cuddle. I promise. "

" You better keep that promise" Alex grumbled. John just laughed. " Your adorable when your tired"

John pecked him on the lips before grabbing his keys.

" Love you"

" Love you too"

~~~~~~

" Hey Eliza" John said to his co-worker. She wasn't just a co-worker, Eliza and her sisters were really close friends to Alex and him.

" Ready to start the day?" Eliza smiled. " As always" John smiled back. 

~~~~~~

Alex

I just finished up some work And flopped on the couch. I was about to watch some Netflix when the news popped up.

I thought it was a joke. But it wasn't.

It's devastating. The two towers weren't there anymore. They had fallen to the ground.

Wait. Didn't John work there?

My heart started beating faster and my head started spinning. Then my phone rung.

I looked at it then I immediately got up from my spot on the couch and rushed to where my phone was on the counter.

John <3

My heart slowed from its fast pace.

I held the phone to my chest and let out a sigh.

He was okay.

I held the phone to my ear and listened.

Loud sirens startled me almost making me drop my phone.

Hey Lexi, there is no way out and I- *cough* I just wanted to say one last goodbye. I love you. I'll always be here for you. * cough cough* move on, don't waste tears on me. You can move on,

It's okay.

I love you

The line went dead and I just stood there, soaking in his last words.

Before I slid down the side of the counter onto the floor and just cried.

My husband was gone.

~~~~~~~~

The sounds of sirens echoed loudly around the entire city.

Dust filled the air making it hard to breathe.