No one does (everlark)

And another one of those times where I write the characters as toddlers. Which reminds me, I really have to start working on the next part to Turkeys and Kisses.

By the way, this is kind of angsty and honestly it hurt my heart to write some of this.

The first time she sees him, she doesn't like him.

At all.

It annoyed her to no end when he wanted to play with everyone, and every time he was rejected she got a sick satisfaction from it.

She was satisfied a lot.

He tried to be nice. Too nice. He saw someone sad, he would comfort them and until they no longer thought of him as useful. Someone forgot their lunch and didn't want the school food, surprise, he happened to have had extra food in his lunchbox.

He insisted that he helped the teachers with passing out papers, and he always enthusiastically gave out the right answers when they all sat at the carpet.

She wasn't annoyed, no. She absolutely hated the blue-eyed, blonde-haired slightly chubby boy.

Katniss herself wasn't nice. She didn't want to play with anyone, which was fine, because everyone avoided her from the start.

Maybe it had to with her singing. Ever since she sang the valley song, the kids avoided her. They complained when they heard her crying too much during nap-time, so the teachers moved her far away from the rest as much as they could, as to not "disrupt their resting."

...

Two days before her birthday, her mother promised her two boxes of cupcakes at school.

Of course, when her birthday comes around, no one had acknowledged it except the teachers.

By lunch-time, the latest she was told her cupcakes would be arriving, Katniss didn't have them and she was on the verge of crying.

To make matters worse, everyone glared at her as if it were her fault they wouldn't have an extra treat. Except one particular kid.

Peeta shyly stands, a frosted sugar cookie in hand, and walks slowly to the opposite end of the table and sets it in front of her.

Katniss doesn't know what to think. She's angry that her mother's promise wasn't kept, and she hates Peeta.

She opts to crush the cookie with her fist. "I don't need your cookie," she snarls. "And I don't need you."

Peeta gasps. He worked hard on it, he wants to say, he worked hard on it to give to her for her birthday.

But what breaks his heart was that she says she doesn't need him. Every time he tries to help, tried to play with someone, they say the same thing. I don't need you for this. I don't need you to give me this. I don't need you. I don't need you.

He sniffles. "No one needs me." Dejected and absolutely crushed, he walks back to his seat where no one comforts him.

Katniss isn't the only one to cry at nap-time.

I could make a second part, if you like.

This is the third writer typing, and have a good day🙂