I Couldn't Risk Losing You - 2

Disclaimer : If Mishti's confession and Abir's outburst made you cry, keep your tissue papers close by🥺

Abir's eyes bulged out of his sockets as his mind registered Mishti's words. 

"Mish.. Mishti," he choked on his breath. He tried to walk towards her again but she lifted her hand, indicating him to stop and repeated in a firm tone, "Maine kaha na Abir, don't come near me." 

Tears brimmed the corner of Abir's eyes as his heart shattered into pieces. He would have disregarded her words if Mishti's eyes were anywhere but on him. But what should he do if the words left her mouth while her eyes of steel pierced into his? He tried to find a hint of fabrication in her eyes, but today, those eyes gave nothing away. Her stance and her words reminded him of the time when he broke up with her at the lakeside. When in the exact same way, he had looked into her eyes and told her that he didn't love her. His facial expressions changed from the one of heartbreak to astonishment as he mulled over her words. He didn't even want to think of the meaning behind her statement. Because if what he was thinking was true, it would take every ounce of strength in his body to do it. 

Gulping down his tears, he started, "Mishti, mujhe batao kya hua hai? Hum baat karte hai na. Agar mujhse koi galti hui hai toh I'm sorry. Lekin please mujhe aise apne aap se dur mat karo Mishti. Batao mujhe kya hua hai?" He asked, agony lacing his voice. The mere thought of being away from her sent shudders down his spine. But if she asked him to do that, will he be left with any other option?

"Kyu Abir? Mei tumhe kuch kyu batau? Jab itna sab ho raha tha toh kya ek baar bhi tumne mujhe bataya? Mujhse baat ki?" Infuriatingly, she battered him with the questions that had been troubling her mind since the time she had seen him beg in front of Varun. 

A kind of relief wrapped around Abir's heart as her questions ruled out all the negative outcomes of her words. And the questions she asked, he had to face them, sooner or later. Would he ever be able to hide anything from her? Probably not. 

"Mishti mei.." Abir began but stopped mid-sentence to choose his words correctly. However, Mishti's patience had worn out, a long time ago. The rage boiling in her heart had the capability to burn anything and anyone that came in her way. 

"Tum kya Abir? Bolo, tum kya? Kya soch rahe the tum haa? Ki sab kuch tum akele kar loge? Saari problems, saara dard akele jhel loge?" There was no end to the questions that had been stewing in her mind. "Hum dono jaante hai ki last time jab tumne aisa kia tha toh kya hua tha Abir!" She exclaimed. But as soon as the words left her lips, her eyes widened and her mouth dropped open in horror. Mishti didn't mean to say it out like that but the words were out and the damage was already done. Abir stared at his wife, stupefied. Her words were like a thousand daggers puncturing his heart. Did she really drag the worst day of their lives into this conversation? His eyes held fire as he stormed towards her and held her, a little too tightly, by her shoulders.

"Tum jaan na chahti ho na ki maine aisa kyu kia? Toh suno! Maine yeh sab kia kyunki mei tumhe khone ka risk nahi le sakta tha! TUMHE KHO NAHI SAKTA THA MISHTI!" he screeched. Tears ran down Mishti's cheeks. She staggered behind as Abir harshly left her shoulders and stepped away from her. He sucked in a deep breath to calm his raging nerves. 

"Maine tumse pehle bhi kaha hai ki agar tumhe khone ka ek percent bhi chance hai toh mei woh chance nahi le sakta hu Mishti. I.. I can't. Tum Abir Rajvansh ki jaan ho Mishti. Aur mei apni jaan ko itni aasani se nahi jaane de sakta. Nahi jaane de sakta," he confessed as his voice turned to a mere whisper by the end. He squeezed his eyes shut and pinched the bridge of his nose to control the tears that threatened to fall. Yes, he had been cruel that day, at the lakeside, and he regretted every second of it. He had been at his absolute worst that day and he hated himself for that.  Abir's train of thoughts was broken and his eyes opened when he heard Mishti's cracking voice.