My Whole World In A Frame - 1

A. N. - Since DKP wouldn't give me what I want, here's just a small fragment of my imagination!

After another mentally exhausting day, Mishti and Abir had retired to their room. Mishti was seated on the bed when Abir freshened up and came out of the bathroom.

"Mishti, mei bahut thak gaya hu. I'm going to sleep," he said in a tired tone and lay on his side of the bed. He covered himself with the blanket and shut his eyes. All he wanted was to drift away in a world where he was happy and not at loggerheads with his mother. A world where his choices mattered and were accepted and where someone was not constantly trying to impose their decisions on him and Mishti. Because in reality, that didn't seem like a possibility. Mishti's heart pained at Abir's state. Although he didn't say a word, Mishti knew how he felt. And she hated how she couldn't do anything to provide him the peace that he so desperately craved. Or maybe she could? 

She was about to go to the bathroom when she noticed the empty water jug on the bedside table. She picked it up and headed downstairs to fill it with water. When she came back to the room, she kept the jug on the side table and went to the bathroom. Clad in her nightwear, she came out and sat on her side of the bed. She took a glass and poured some water into it. While gulping the contents of the glass down, her eyes fell on the calendar. Her eyes widened in surprise and she quickly put the glass down. She took the calendar in her hands and scanned it carefully, wanting to avoid any mistakes. One of her hands flew to her mouth as she realized that what she was thinking was true. 

"Oh God! Yeh sab tension mei toh mei bhul hi gayi thi do din baad Abir ka birthday hai. Thank you Kanhaji!" she acknowledged delightedly while looking at the heavens above. She kept the calendar back on the table and turned towards Abir. He was sleeping but the stress lines hadn't left his forehead. It had been days since Mishti had seen a genuine smile on his face. Tears welled up in her eyes but she shoved them away and lightly caressed his hair. That's when an idea popped in her mind and a huge smile broke out on her face. 

"Bas do din aur Abir. Then I promise, tumhari saari stress lines ko mei ek bag mei bandh karke kahi dur fek dungi. Aur tumhari life mei khushiyon ki jagah sadness ko kabhi nahi lene dungi," Mishti vowed internally. "I just hope that everything works out according to my plans," she thought to herself. She bent down and placed a gentle kiss on Abir's forehead. A small smile spread across his lips, as if he was aware of her actions. Mishti switched off the lights and dozed off to sleep, thinking about the plans she had to pull off and the phone calls she had to make in the next two days. 

*2 days later* 

It was 8 am in the morning by the time Mishti woke up. Abir was still sleeping besides her. She carefully untangled herself out of his hold and rushed towards the bathroom to get ready. Today was going to be a big day for Abir and her. The day that they had longed for, all their lives. Given the tension in the house, no one, except Mishti, remembered that it was Abir's birthday today. And a part of Mishti's heart was glad that they didn't. 

As Mishti stepped out of the bathroom, she found Abir still fast asleep in bed. But was he actually sleeping? Mishti had to send him away to the NGO so that she could implement her plans. If he stayed at home, she wouldn't be able to pull her surprise off. An idea struck her mind and she tiptoed towards Abir's sleeping form. She took a bunch of her wet hair in her hand and slowly jiggled them to and fro above his face. Some of the water droplets fell on Abir's face. Abir thoroughly enjoyed it and wanted to smile but he hid it or else his entire drama would drop off. He turned his face to the other side and giggled inwardly. Mishti made a face and walked up to the other side of the bed. She climbed on the bed and repeated the same thing with her hair again. But Abir didn't wake up.