chapter two

two
"first call"

—

"SO, LYNN, WHERE YOU FROM?"

Lynn fiddled with the head set and mic she was given at the beginning of the drive for a second before turning her attention to Chimney, who was sitting opposite of her, and had questioned her.

"Well, I was born in Chicago, and moved to Long Beach when I was around ten, now I'm living in Lancaster," Lynn replied, but she felt like she was speaking way too soft where no one could hear her, however, they all seemed to nod their heads as they took in it.

"You got family in LA?" Hen asked, who was sitted next to Lynn by the window.

Lynn was never good at opening up to people, she always had this hard exterior they had to work through before finally being able to get to know the real Evelynn Kennedy, and that alone took plenty of time, so she assumed her coworkers would soon give up on trying to get to know her past.

"Just my older sister," Lynn explained, and she tried her best to keep her voice calm instead of full of emotion, because that was the last thing she wanted her new coworkers to think of her as; too weak to handle the job.

As if God had answered Lynn's prayers, even though she didn't quite believe in him anyway, they had arrived on scene in time for no one else to have questions for her.

Everyone hopped out of the fire truck, grabbing any necessary tools and bags they would possibly need. Just like the rest, Lynn grabbed her own medic bag that was given to her right before they left the station.

"Where we headed?" Chimney asked quickly, and Lynn jiggled her shoulders to relax her body as she started to prepare herself for what she had been training so hard to do, help people.

"The fourth floor," Bobby replied, leading the crew of paramedic and firefighters towards the inside of the building.

"I'll race you!" Buck exclaimed happily, and then started darting up the stairs in order to get ahead of Bobby.

"Ah, race yourself, Rambo," Bobby answered snarkily, and Lynn let out a chuckle at seeing how the two men could easily be viewed as a father and son duo. "I'm fifty years old, I'm taking the elevator."

"Who's Rambo?" Buck questioned, tilting his side to the side as if he was utterly confused, and Lynn would've spoken up about how everyone should know of Rambo but didn't want to seem like a total bitch, yet.

"God, is he always like a puppy?" Lynn asked Hen, who was jogging alongside her, and the comment made her let out a loud laugh.

"Please, when he first got here, I told Bobby he may as well have gotten a dalmatian," Hen teased lightly, and Lynn let out a chuckle as she glanced back up to Buck, who was now skipping up the stairs quickly with a small smile written on his pink lips.