Chapter Twenty-Seven - The Eye

It had been two weeks since Letty's fight in London. They had stayed in Texas over New Years and went back to New York the day after. The swelling on Letty's left eye had gone down and she had just been to her check-up at the hospital. An eye doctor, a specialist.

Letty sat waiting in the office of Dr Tully. Half an hour went by before the door opened and sat down at the other side of the table. He put down her file on the table.

- So? Am I good? She asked.

- The sight of your right eye is 100%.

- Great.

- But your left eye only has 50%.

She was 50% blind on the eye she had asked her grandfather to cut so she could continue the fight? She had lost sight...

- Well, I can see.

- Your periphery is the problem, Letty. If someone approaches from the left side, you won't see them until they're right in front of you.

Letty leaned forward and leaned her face in her hands.

- Well, it hasn't been a problem so... I can keep on fighting, right?

- I strongly advice against it.

- Well, what do you know, are you a fighter?

- I understand this is the beginning of your career and this is the last thing you wanted to happen. But it's a very big risk to continue boxing.

- Well, you can't stop me. You don't understand this and I don't expect you to. But I don't tell you how to do your job and respectfully, don't tell me how to do mine.

She stood from the chair and left the office.

Letty was punching the boxing bag as if she was being paid for it. She had to take her anger out on something. The anger she felt could make her punch through a concrete wall.

- Letty.

She stopped at her grandfather's voice.

- I'm fine.

- The doc called me.

She sighed and grabbed the bag, stopping it from swinging back and forth. She turned to Freddie.

- It's bullshit, I see fine.

- Really?

- If that comes out, it's over. Everything. I'm just getting fucking started.

Freddie nodded, but he didn't say she was right or that she could continue. He was agreeing with the doctor.

- This happens to fighters. I could name you dussin of fighters who had to quit early because of shit injuries like that.

- I ain't quitting!

She punched the bag hard as she passed it on her way to the doors. She took the seat on her Harley and put the helmet over her head. She kicked started it and rode off. She reached a crossing and slowed down as the light turned red. And as she came to a stop, she glanced to her left... only to see black. She looked forward but she couldn't see the car next to her. Her periphery didn't work.

Letty didn't walk through the door until after midnight and she stumbled as she kicked off her shoes and crashed into the wall.

- Letty?

Derek showed in the hall.

- Hello. She said.