Chapter Eighty-One - Flying High Now

Letty had just walked through the doors of the airport when she found out that all flights were either cancelled or delayed. It happened an hour ago, a small plane had landed on the wet runway and lost control, it turned to its side and exploded and it cancelled all going and incoming flights, at least for the next four hours. It meant she would miss the meeting about the house she had found. She turned back to the city. Maybe it was a sign not to move back to Texas. New York was the most amazing city in the world and she loved every part of it. Maybe she could stay.

Since when did she believe in signs? Some idiot lost control of their plane, that was it.

She drove back home, where Spencer and Jonah were, babysitting Bonnie.

- We tried calling. Spencer said.

- I didn't get a message from the airline until I walked through the doors

- Right, but...

Letty raised her brows at her, waiting for her to go on.

- Bonnie, why don't you go show Jonah the doll again?

- Why do I have to sacrifice myself? Jonah asked.

- Just go.

Jonah sighed and followed Bonnie upstairs.

- I hate that doll. She heard him mumble before leaving the kitchen.

Letty turned back to Spencer who had a sad look on her face.

- Derek didn't call you?

- Why?

She hadn't talked to him since she drove him home from the hospital. He told her to take the time she needed to think over things. That was five days ago.

- The plane... it was Mary and Jack's plane.

She didn't hear her first. She had to repeat her words three times in her head before feeling her heart break.

- No...

A plane crashed and she somehow made it inconvenient for her, not thinking about the people on board. They said it was a small plane so you assumed it wasn't a lot of people on board. As if four lives were less important than a 150.

- Hey, breathe. Spencer told her and grabbed her arms.

Letty buckled and sat down on the floor.

- Oh my god, this isn't happening.

She leaned her head in her hands.

- I'm so sorry. Jonah went by there before he came here but Derek wouldn't open the door.

- How did you find out?

- Paul, his lawyer. He found out and when Derek didn't answer his calls or his door, he called Jonah to see if he could check on him.

They had acted like her parents. They were close. She loved them. Bonnie loved them. Everything was supposed to be over. The hurt and grief was over. And then life turned it all upside down and it would start all over again.

Bonnie held Letty's hand as they walked from the car, inside the building.

- Hi, Martin. Bonnie said and waved.

- Hello, little darling. Martin smiled.

They rode the elevator up. She had told Bonnie what happened to Mary and Jack. She was upset and she cried. She decided to wait until Bonnie wasn't as upset until going to see Derek. She brought her own key in case he wouldn't open the door.