Chapter Seventy-One - Familiar Acts

Letty woke by her phone ringing. She hadn't been able to sleep in her bed and ended up on the couch on the lower level. It was her uncle calling her. She had expected him to call. Freddie had told them.

- Hello.

- About time you answer when I call. I'm close to coming out there.

- No, don't do that.

- Why not? Someone gotta at least break his legs.

She couldn't help but laugh.

- How are you doing?

- Well, I got my own place. It's bigger.

- Lonely?

- I guess.

- Why don't you come home?

She hadn't given that a thought, which surprised her. Maybe unconsciously, she didn't want to leave New York because Derek was there. Maybe moving home to Texas would be a good idea. Her family and her best friends lived there. Her army lived there.

- You can get your own place here. Or stay with us. Hell, everyone seems to be living here anyway.

She smiled. She had missed that. People coming and going, all day, every day. That didn't happen here. And she hadn't minded it much, she had Derek and she was happy with it just being them, and Bonnie. The three of them.

- Why did he do it?

- I guess I... after the last fight, I became someone else. I felt like I did when I was fourteen.

- Did you try anything?

- No. No, I wouldn't do that to Bonnie. But I guess I became difficult to live with.

- It's not your fault, baby. There's no excuse for what he did.

- I pushed him away.

- Even if you did, he should have pushed back and stayed. That's what you do.

- Well, I was mean, I was...

- Letty, stop blaming yourself.

She leaned back in the couch and brushed her hand over her face. She didn't want to cry. It was only morning and she didn't want to start off the day crying. She could do it later.

- You know, your grandfather and me, we might know some people that can take care of him.

- Shut up.

- I'm serious. These are professionals, they leave no trace. Or they could leave a trace that leads to someone else.

She let out a laugh and the burning of tears went away.

- But on a serious note.

She knew it was coming.

- Are you divorcing him?

- I don't know.

- You move out, got your own place. Why wouldn't you want a divorce?

- I don't know. Cuz then it's really over.

- You don't want it to be.

- I hate him for what he did. Everything is just... so messed up.

- Well, you gotta decide what to do, then call your lawyer. Protect yourself and Bonnie. Okay?

Protect her assets, he meant. Her money, her property. She knew Derek didn't want a divorce, he wouldn't ask for one. Unless he'd fall for that bitch. After all, they met while he was still married and slept together before his divorce was settled. Maybe some people didn't change.