Part 5: When I Confessed

When I Confessed

I went to visit her again.

Sabi nga ni Tita Jo, Ann's mother, she started smiling again.

I made her promise me that she would fight her sickness, and she did.

Umiinom na ulit siya ng mga gamot niya and she continued her chemotherapy.

Sabi ng mga doctor, it seemed like she found her reason to live again.

One day, when I came to visit her, hinarangan ako ni Tita Jo, dahil ayaw daw akong makita ni Ann.

I was confused and afraid at first. Bakit ayaw na naman akong makita ni Ann?

Nakita niya siguro ang pagaalala sa mukha ko dahil she told me the truth.

Ayaw daw ni Ann na makita ko siya ngayon sa itsura niya.

Because of the therapy, she started losing her hair and finally she had to go bald.

Iyak daw ito ng iyak dahil pangit na daw ang tingin nito sa sarili.

But I could never see her that way.

I love Ann, and for me, she's the most beautiful girl I have ever seen.

Pinilit ko si Tita Jo na papasukin ako sa kwarto ni Ann, and she did.

When I entered the room, I saw Ann's horrified face.

Nagtago siya sa ilalim ng kumot at umiyak ng umiyak.

''Umalis ka na Nathan! Ayokong makita mo ko na ganito ang itsura ko! Please..'' she begged me, but I stood my ground.

Naupo ako sa tabi niya and did what I never thought I could do.

I sang.

''You know, you know, you know, I'd never ask you to change. If perfect's what you're searchin' for, then just stay the same. So don't even bother asking if you look okay, you know I'll say. When I see your face. There's not a thing that I would change, 'cause you're amazing. Just the way you are..''

When I stopped singing, I could still hear her crying.

Tinanggal ko ang kumot niya at hinawakan ko ang pisngi niya at pinahid ang mga luha niya.

''Ann, you are the most beautiful girl for me.. and nothing, nothing would ever change that.''

She smiled, but she didn't stop crying.

Hinawakan ko ang kamay niya at hinalikan ito.

''I had loved you ever since I first laid my eyes on you..''

Lumuhod ako sa harap niya at nakita ko ang pagkagulat ni Ann.

I just knew. That was it. The moment I have been waiting for my whole life.

I breathed deeply and stares directly at her, tears also in my eyes.

''If you would give me the honor, would you marry me and be my wife?'' kinakabahang tanong ko.

Sa sobrang pagkagulat niya ay natigilan saglit sa pag-iyak si Ann.

She hesitated. Then she smiled, and tears came back again.

Pero kita ko sa mga mata niya na those were not tears of loneliness, but of happiness.

''Yes.. yes, I would.'' masayang sagot niya sakin.

Niyapos ko siya agad. I was the happiest man on Earth back then.

And that was the most precious memory I had shared with Ann.