Chapter Thirteen

"Hailey?"

She turned from the curtains to see Jake, the shadows of the backstage equipment throwing over him so she could just see his face and the smile on his lips.

Ever since the encounter with Zoey in the Summoner's Hall, the two had worked harder than ever to come up with a new song. Jake would go to Hailey's house to work on the lyrics and practice singing. Most of the time, however, they'd rest and spend the evening cracking jokes or playing monopoly. Just yesterday they had stayed up late binge watching My Drawing Came to Life!.

Perhaps it was just Hailey - but indistinctly, she thought they were growing closer, and she thought Jake enjoyed the small moments they spent together.

These small memories ran through her head like a video reel and she smiled back at him.

"There's an awful lot of people in the audience," she said, smoothing her hair nervously. She peeked through the curtains again. There had to be at least ten times as many faces looking expectantly at the stage then there were at the band competition.

The Clozy Concert Hall was magnificent - the red satin curtains, outlined by a golden frame. Thousands of people watched them in plush seats, waiting for them to appear on the white oak stage.

"We'll be fine. I'm here, remember?" he grinned. "I'll make everything okay."

"Sure, you clown," Hailey laughed, giving him a light push. He stumbled back and gave a small chuckle before taking her hand and leading her further in the shadows of the back area. She felt shivers run down her back, but it wasn't from the cold.

"What happened that day with Zoey?" he asked softly. They were alone together, and there was just enough light to see the two of their faces.

"I can't say," she said, remembering Zoey's threat.

I don't think I can live that down if the whole school knows I like Jake... How would I face Jake himself after? I don't want to ruin our friendship... 

"Please," Jake pleaded. "Zoey won't find out. And whatever she did to blackmail you - it can't be that bad!"

"It is that bad..." she whispered, looking down. She had no idea how Zoey found out that she loved Jake... If she knew that, then who said she wouldn't know about this?

"Hailey, you can trust me!" his voice sent a tear in her heart. She lifted her gaze into his eyes, sweeping over his features. His faded salmon hair, the earring that was always placed on his right ear, the diamond necklace dangling from his neck...

She gulped. "A...Alright." Slowly, Hailey began to tell him everything, painting the details before his eyes.

"What did you want to talk to me about?" Hailey looked at the two girls before her - Zoey standing with her arms crossed and a smirk playing at her lips, while Lia shifting uncomfortably, pretending to be absorbed in her phone.

Earlier that day, she had received a note from Zoey to meet her in the Summoner's Hall. It had said something about a secret of Hailey's. Now, she shivered. She hated it here - the dark hallway and the cobwebs hanging from the ceiling made her uneasy. Perhaps that's why Zoey wanted it to be here.

"We heard you sing in that music room that day, and we've been thinking a while," Zoey slowly paced around her. Hailey tensed. "If the school heard your voice as clearly as you did in that room, your popularity would rise. You could even take over Drew and I!"

"So?" Hailey snapped. "Who cares?"

"Who cares?!" Zoey laughed. "Who cares? Everyone does! I care, of course! We can't let a freak like you take over our popularity!"