Chapter 1: Small Town

The plane flight was longer than I had expected, but listening to my mother complain about being transferred to a new town made me go insane. My father tried to calm her down by saying how it was going to be an experience like no other, but who was he to lie to anyone. Most of the time was spent looking out into the dark set clouds of the gloomy town I would soon move to. It wasn't as bad as I thought, but I was being forced against my will to go with my parents. I didn't want to go there.

I wanted to be back in Chicago with all my friends and be under the sun, it was summer there. It had always been hard for me to get tanned. I always had some glow to my skin, but other than I was plain. I was small but not like most girls back at my school were I use to go to. I weighed in one-hundred and fifteen pounds. My wavy, straightish hair flowed down to the middle of my back and was dark brown, almost black. My eyes, an emerald green. The only feature I ever liked. It was all thanks to my father, Nicholas or Nick if he was good mood. He had always been a muscular, tall man with dark black hair and light skin. I looked more like him than my mother. He worked as a policemen and transferred himself right away to the town that awaited us. My mother, Carmen, on the other hand was Italian, what she called a proud Italiana. I looked nothing like her except for the tan, not as dark but still tan. She was taller and slimmer than I was with a radiant light bronze glow on her skin. She had light brown hair that went all the way down her back. She was very motherly, but at times she let work get in the way, which is what brings me back to moving. My mother is a very well trained doctor, but she has a big mouth and likes to brag. Her supervisor told her that she should be helping in small town that don't have doctors like her. She was mad of course, but she wants to make it better for herself and try to get transferred back. I guess this is just one of those changes I'll have to get over.

Out of the airport, my dad rented a car and drove of us to our new home, but that wouldn't be another hour of being stuck with my parents. I looked at the sign of the airport as I got into the small van carrying our suitcases. It read Seattle Airport. It was about one hour away from Forks, Washington. Forks, I didn't even know this small town existed. I preferred to keep my comments about moving to myself, but my face was easy to read. All my parents chose to do was try to convince me on the idea. I didn't even know what I would do hear.

All I knew was that I would start school at the University of Washington, but it wouldn't be another three months until I would start. Back in Chicago, I wouldn't start school for another five months for later admission. That at least was the positive side of moving. What I heard about the school was that it was all boring and annoying. The people were friendly and knew each other. It probably came from being in a small town. I heard that many students attending the University of Washington would have graduated from Forks High School. At Forks High School, there was about four hundred students for the whole school. Back home there was about four hundred students per graduating class. This would be so different because I would be the new girl at school and that would be one of my worst nightmares. I wasn't going to be in High School but the idea of being the new girl at a university were people probably did know each other was scary.

The drive began with my parents talking about school and how they were lucky they accepted me last minute. I smiled occasionally bitter as ever. I took my Ipod from my pocket and started to listen to Three Days Grace, one of my favorite bands ever. They had depressing, emotional songs which fit the occasion.

"Kat?" my mother called from the front sit. I knew she had been calling me a couple of times before, she was using her angry voice.

I took off the head phones and looked at her. "Yes?"

"Why don't you cheer up? I know you've been having trouble with all of this, but I want you to think of it as a new adventure. You're going to be meeting new people and please," she breathed so lightly, but still had a heavy tone to it, "I want you to try to enjoy it. I don't want to you to be unhappy here."