the little listener.

Bold Is Diara speaking in her head. italics is her speaking in sign language.

Japan: 2206. Diara: age 8.

"Diara, Sweetheart, you can't have a quirk. everyone in this family is quirkless. and besides, you're too old." mom put her hand on my shoulder, watching me as I try forcing down the flinch that grew from the unfamiliar contact. as she opened her mouth to begin again, a ring echos through the house. who the hell would visit? the hand is taken off of me, footsteps walking to the door as I raise my gaze to see who's there.

"WHAT IS UP, YO?!" a {extremely} loud voice cuts the quiet, making me jump and sprint to the door. "YOOO!!! little listener!!!! what's up?! you doin' good??" my arms wrap around his middle, a hand resting on the back of my head, his other arm on my upper back, smushing me into him as he rants about how long it's been.

"Uncle Hizashi. I missed you." my voice cut through his speech, making both him and mom freeze. "Uncle Hizashi. could I have a quirk? could I be a hero, just like you?" my eyes were filled with tears, face red as hoped for a different answer then my mothers.

Hizashi's face quickly changed, realizing that I needed some positivity and love. he picked me up, holding eye contact with me as he spoke. "of course you can be, little listener. you can be whatever you wanna be. you might even have a quirk, you'll never know if you don't try to find it." he takes a hand to wipe away my tears, moving his eyes to his colleague and my mother. "I'm taking her out for ice cream."

he covered the basics with me, putting me down and asking me to go grab my shoes, which I nod quickly to, running off to find my shoes and a jacket. "you can't just take my child!" mom raises her tone, clearly upset.

"I can, and I am. Bye, Kami. we'll be back in a bit." he waved, opening the door with me standing beside him. as we get into his car, he starts talking. "so, little listener, how have you been? how's your mom been?"

"Mom's been good. she's stopped working so much, which is good. I've been good. I've been learning more on how to write, and cook, and such." my little hands moved as quickly as they could, as I tried keeping everything coherent for Hizashi as he pulled up to a stoplight.

"I need to be around more, huh? I'm sorry, kid. I'm glad you're both okay. okay, let's cut the sad, let's get some ice cream!!"

I let out a small "Yay!" balling my fists and pumping them up and down at my sides. Hizashi continued the light conversation, asking me what I wanted, where I'd like to eat it, so on so forth. my eyes light up, one word leaving my mouth as I stare back at the blonde. "Park."

laughter left him, his hand coming to rest on top of my head. "alright, Little Listener. park it is. you are talkative today, aren't ya?"

after we had gotten our ice cream, we went to sit down on a bench at the park. watching the ducks, giggling whenever one of us made a mess, and occasionally laughing at Hizashi getting scared at a butterfly. as we finish our cones, Hizashi's phone starts ringing. I perk up, wondering who it could be, and wondering if I could say hi. "Yooo, Sho! what's up?!" my head tilts, confused as he continues talking. "if you're asking if I can cover someone's patrol, I can't. I'm hanging out with my favorite kid."

I sit on my knees, getting close to the phone and whispering. "hello! I'm his favorite kid." the person on the other line sputters, making Hizashi start cackling as I giggle. he puts the phone on speaker so I can understand both sides of the conversation.

"Hizashi. who's child did you kidnap?" he sounded exhausted, and most likely use to the blondes antics. "you know what, no. give the phone to the kid. I don't trust you to tell me the truth."