7

Carson's P.O.V.

How the heck should I tell her the truth when I'm the reason Margie is critically wounded? Can I possibly tell her only some of the truth and leave out the fact that I caused all this?

Her face was filled with impatience as she eyed me skeptically, making me gulp loudly. Welp, guess it's time to try my luck, "I was kidnapped and she was there during the scene. She, as my project partner decided to lend me a hand but we didn't know that we were dealing with somebody dangerous. When we were just about to escape, she was shot."

I finished up and watched her face to see her reaction. I swear, this is the hardest task I've ever done in my whole life. She looked into my eyes for a lot longer than was comfortable for me, maybe searching for fear or betrayal of emotions.

Abruptly, she looked at her daughter and shook her head, mumbling something to herself. The only sound in the room was the low humming of machines and it seemed to ease a bit of the tension. Without averting her gaze from her daughter, she told me, "I guess that's good enough. I'd hate to keep you here and question you further while you have school to attend. You can go. Thanks for everything."

The guilt in me was becoming unbearable but I slowly got up and left without another word. I sighed as the fresh air outside hit my nostrils. One look at my watch and I knew I had enough time to wash up and go to school.

Praying that grandma was asleep, I ran at lightning speed and burst into the house once I got there. I quickly took off my clothes and jumped into the shower. "Carry... Where were you the whole night?" I heard a shaky voice come from outside the door.

Argh... Why does she always stay up when I don't want her to? "I was at Romilda's place," I shout at the top of my lungs and due to the silence on the other end, I knew she understood me. After I was done, I put on some clean clothes, threw the dirty ones away and yelled goodbye at grandma before heading to school without taking breakfast.

I managed to get to school five minutes early and get some time to myself by my locker. Questions rushed through my mind as I rested my forehead against the locker. Why? I thought I had started a new life, turned over a new leaf. Why do they have to come and trample the place I've started to like? The one time they show up, they almost kill a girl who has nothing to do with them.

The bell rang but my body refused to move. I felt too heavy, too stressed, too tired. I shut my eyes and took in deep breaths in an attempt to calm myself and control the rage rising within me.

"Don't tell me... BRO!!!" I cringed at the voice that came from behind me. Wait... That voice, it's a bit too familiar. I slowly turned around and groaned as my 'long lost' friend grasped me and gave me a bear hug.

"Wh-what are you doing here?!" I stammered, completely shocked that everything present in my childhood was legit haunting me, following me wherever I go.

"I could ask you the same bro," he said as he placed his hands on my shoulders and took in my features, "man, you've grown. It's been so long."

He wasn't wrong...

Joyful laughter could be heard as we both outstretched our arms and swerved our toy aeroplanes here and there in the air, shouting, "Chief, we are going to crash. Beep beep beep beep."

"Hang on Sir, we need the parachute."

"They aren't enough! Say goodbye to your loved ones. Eeergh Eeergh Eeergh eeergh!"

"Kabooom!!!"

We both dropped our aeroplanes and jumped around shouting, "We crashed, we crashed, we crashed!!!" Soon, we were both on the grassy ground laughing.

"Let's go get our cars. We are doing stunt driving this time," Damien said, gripping my hand and helping me get up. Our tiny footsteps were heard as we ran excitedly towards my home and laughter echoed through the air, making the serene environment even more joyful.

All of that got lost when we met a stern face at the door followed by the words, "Get in the car Dam, we're moving."

Both our heads whipped at each other and our fears were mirrored in each other's eyes. "B-but-" I started but Damien's father wouldn't let me speak, "It isn't your decision Carson. You've done nothing but manipulate my little boy. We don't have all day Dam."

I watched helplessly with tears in my eyes as my best friend got dragged away by his own dad.

"Dad... please! No! I don't wanna go! Carson!!!"

"Damien!!!"

I then spotted his aeroplane lying on the ground and ran to give it to him but they were already in the car and had started going. I could see his face through the rear windshield. He was also in tears, beating the hell out of the glass, shouting my name.

"Damien! Damien!" I ran as fast as I could, waving his aeroplane in front of me. I couldn't reach him, the car was going too fast. I dropped to the ground and broke into tears. My only friend, gone so suddenly.

I felt a pair of hands pulling me into their hold and someone rocking me back and forth, telling me that it will be okay. My sister and I sat there in the middle of the road the whole evening, her trying to calm me down and me crying harder every minute...

"Yeah..." I said, sadness replacing the rage that was in me, "you didn't even try to contact me." Damien rubbed the back of his neck then mumbled, "I'm sorry bro. I wanted to, I swear. It's just... Complicated."

"Well," a forced smile spread across my face, "welcome to the neighbourhood."

"Thanks, my first class is history."

"Mine too. Let's go before we get in trouble."

This is going to be a heck of a year...

-----------------------------------------------------------

Eeeeep!!! I updated! *does the boogy* lol, so heeey my amazing readers. My heart broke during this chapter and I have no idea how I wrote this. I literally hadn't planned to bring Damien into the story but welp, hope he has fun.

I just feel like leaving this here for those people who are struggling in life...

The song has been stuck in my head and I just want to say, "You just gotta keep on rolling even on the bad days."

Whispers: I feel like Carson needs this rn.

So, thanks for reading. Every single one of you gets a hug from me *sends virtual hugs*
Byeeeee
~keep on rolling