Chapter 21

Five had thrown his arm around my waist before blinking away from the destruction that used to be the Academy. We appeared outside of the Super Star and Five pushed open the doors and found us seats near one of the lanes.

I put my elbows on my knees and looked straight ahead.

"I thought you were still inside," I breathed, looking over at Five.

Fives eyes filled with regret momentarily before he glanced back at me.

"I'm sorry. I should've stayed with you," he apologized.

"You don't need to apologize, I'm just glad you're safe," I stated, looking down at my hands.

Five placed his thumb under my chin and lifted my head to look at him. One of his hands interlocked with mine before he pressed his lips to mine gently.

I pulled away slowly and rested my forehead against his. My eyes were closed and I frowned.

"I'm going to be dead in less than a day," I whispered.

"No you won't. Not if you're with me," Five assured me, touching my face and pulling me into a hug.

The familiar jingle of the front doors sounded and Allison and Luther appeared by our seats. I broke away from Five and leaned back in my seat. A couple more minutes passed when Diego and Klaus walked in and sat down next to us.

The six of us sat in silence, nobody daring to speak first.

Luther cleared his throat and looked around at us.

"Look, I hate to be the one to say this, but everyone needs to prepare," he informed us.

Diego looked at him and furrowed his eyebrows. 

"For what?" he asked.

"To do whatever it takes to stop Vanya," Luther continued.

I shook my head slightly and stared at the floor blankly. Allison looked at Luther and smacked him in the shoulder. Luther looked at Allison in shock.

"I- We may not have a choice, Allison," he protested.

"Bullshit. There's always options," Diego retorted blankly.

Five looked over at him.

"Yeah, like what?" he asked.

Diego looked straight ahead and shook his head.

"I don't know," he shrugged.

"Look, whatever we decide, we need to find Vanya," Luther announced, standing up.

"Yeah, well, we have to do it fast. She could be anywhere," I added, leaning back on my seat and crossing my legs.

"Or... here," Klaus told us, nodding to a newspaper. "Look at this,"

We gathered around Klaus and he pointed to an ad in the paper that featured Vanya holding a violin.

"That's right. Her concert is tonight," Diego recalled quietly.

"Hello,"

We turned to the voice that had interrupted us to see an employee standing and looking at us.

"I hate to intrude, but my manager says if you're not gonna bowl, you gotta leave," the worker continued.

I looked over her shoulder to see a large man slamming a pair of bowling shoes down on the counter.

"Whose turn is it?" Diego asked in annoyance.

Luther scoffed and looked over at the manager. He picked up a bowling ball and threw it carelessly. It flew straight over two lanes before landing in the third and knocking down all ten pins.