It Should Have Been Obvious

Adora

Okay, that wasn't the best start, Adora thought, sighing as she sat down on the prison bed. She rested her elbows on her knees. Did I really think it'd be that easy? That she'd say it back? Wow, I'm every bit as arrogant as she thinks I am.

"I'm an idiot," she said, hunching over and threading her fingers into her fringe. Catra had appeared to be in so much pain, and the thought that she'd caused it made Adora's chest ache. I should have been able to control myself, she thought, as tears sprung to her cheeks. She remembered it all so clearly, and she wished more than anything that she couldn't. Especially the part where she snapped Catra's leg. She'd never heard Catra scream like that before, not even when Shadow Weaver had punished her with the worst, most torturous magic.

It shouldn't have had to go that far for me to snap to my senses, Adora thought, choking out a sob. I'm not surprised she doesn't believe me, because I wouldn't either. Not after all that.

She rolled onto her side on the bed and faced the wall, closing her eyes. But she knew that as usual, she wouldn't find sleep. And she was right. No sooner had she started to doze off, than she saw red, and she curled herself into a tight ball, feeling nauseous at the memories. Her fist, thudding into Catra's chest, sending her flying into a wall. Her sword, slicing down, drawing blood. Her hand, picking Catra up as though she were weightless, and worse still, her tongue, as it stretched deeply into the wound-

"Adora..."

The voice sent a chill down Adora's spine. She half-opened one eye, and peered down at Shadow Weaver. "What do you want? I already told you, I'm not here for you."

"Do you really think she'll accept you? That you can ever be her friend, after what you did?"

"Just leave me alone."

"If you are truly back, you cannot avoid me forever. You need me, Adora."

"Why don't you bring my sword here, and I'll show you exactly how much I need you," she snapped, sitting upright.

"A threat? Towards me?" Shadow Weaver asked, her eyes widening. "Why Adora, it seems you've grown a backbone in your year-long absence."

Adora sighed and shook her head, then laid back down and closed her eyes. "Stand there as long as you want. I'm going to sleep."

"I know you can't sleep, Adora," Shadow Weaver said. She laughed as she walked away from the cell. "I'll be here, when you change your mind."

Adora waited until she felt sure Shadow Weaver was long gone, then grabbed her pillow and held it to her face, screaming into the fabric until her lungs were empty. When she had finished, she put it back behind her head and stared at the ceiling, panting. What if this was a huge mistake? She thought. What if I never get through to Catra, never reach her?

She still couldn't believe it had taken her this long to realise exactly how she felt about Catra. And if not for Bow and Glimmer, she might never have realised at all...

--

Two and a half weeks ago: Brightmoon Palace.

"Adora, what happened?" Glimmer asked, appearing frantic. "Why are you so upset? What happened to your arms?! You're bleeding! Talk to me!!"

"I... I almost killed her!" Adora exclaimed, as she paced around the room, fisting her hair into knots. "I don't know what to do! She was s-so hurt, and-"

"Who is, Adora?" Bow asked, grabbing onto Adora's forearms, gently lowering them, and studying the shallow scratches. "Take a deep breath. Tell us everything."