War of Footsteps

"And we always want roses, and Venice, Verona, & Paris, and life is another thing, the truth, the lies, and a yes." – Dani Martin

Chapter 21

She woke up to a tight embrace and a warm back against hers. Softly opening her eyes, she noticed the sky hadn't welcomed the sun yet. Syaoran's stillness made her wonder if he was awake yet but his deep breathing confirmed he wasn't. Even though the sun wasn't up yet, she could see the silhouette of his hand surrounding her waist on top of the sheets. She curiously stared at it as if it was the most fascinating thing in the world to see it slowly transcending from a dark silhouette to a light tanned color as the first rays of sun finally started appearing in the sky.

She softly traced one of the lines with her finger very careful as to avoid waking him up. His rough skin was a clear indication of the time they had spent apart. Hands that used to intertwined with hers in a past she had dared to run from. In vain? No... it hadn't been in vain. He had needed it that way and she had needed to find herself without him. Luck? She didn't believe in luck. Life was a road built with each step lived. Each decision taken, each decision not taken... both formed a person's road. Then, what to call it if it needed a word? Fate? The judge was still out on that one. All she knew was that once again she ended up back in his arms. 

She smiled to herself. Who would've ever thought that after so many years apart they would find each other still feeling this way? Sensing him stir, she smiled. "Are you finally awake?"

He shook his head grunting his protest to her question before nuzzling against her neck. Wanting to prolong the moment he tightened his hold on her and kept his eyes closed. "One more hour."

She chuckled. "Did you jump the minutes?"

He smirked. "Or two more?"

With some difficulty, because of Syaoran's tight hold on her, she moved so she could be facing the ceiling then turned her head to find him wide awake and staring at her.

"Maybe more than two hours..." he softly said while looking at her.

She playfully rolled her eyes smiling. "You must have breakfast with your teammates."

He smirked. "I already told you it was optional."

"Yeah... I do not believe a single word out of that sentence." She sarcastically said rolling her eyes and chuckling. "Are you planning on doing anything constructive today instead of staring at my face?"

He smiled at her question. Waking up next to her was enough incentive for him not to want to get out of bed at all the entire day. He moved a small strand of hair out of her face. "I want a rain check on the other half of the night you didn't spend with me."

She sarcastically raised her brow. "Excuse me?"

He turned to face the ceiling as well and put his hands on the back of his head. "Well, it's only obvious that I get a rain check. The way I see it... you didn't spend an entire night with me because Tomoyo arrived in the middle of the night to my room last night which technically means I only spend half the night with you."

She got up to a sitting position and narrowed her eyes at him not believing what she had just heard. Noticing him avoiding her eyes, she grabbed her pillow and hit his chest with it.

"Ah!" he playfully looked at her as he rubbed his chest. "That hurt. I might have to charge another night for the hit."

She sarcastically nodded. "Oh really?" she asked before hitting him once more. "Half a night?" She hit him once more.