Finals

"Actions prove who someone is, words just prove who they want to be." ~ Brigitte

Chapter 22

"Man! I can't believe it's our last practice." Kyu said out loud as he put his hands inside his jacket pockets while they waited for the elevator to reach the lobby. A vision, a dream... it had all started eight years ago for him, Syaoran and Eriol when they were summoned for the first time to join the National Team. Since then, they had been preparing for this moment practicing, lifting weights, and conditioning their bodies to play this particular game and after many sacrifices their work had finally paid off. Even with the odds against them they had been able to reach the finals of a World Cup for the first time ever in the history of China. 

"Yeah." Xiun absentmindedly said.

"You okay man?" Kyu asked.

"Just... thinking about tomorrow." He answered.

Kyu reflectively watched the boy's face. It reminded him of the way Eriol, Syaoran and himself looked four years ago when they had the chance of playing in this tournament for the first time. They had only made it to quarterfinals back then but the mixture between excitement and nervousness had never left his body when he entered the field to defend his country's colors. At least that was the way he had felt back then. "Yeah... Word of advice, just think of it as you would for any other game."

"Except it's not just any other game." Xiun said staring at his reflection through the elevator's metal closed doors. In comparison to his seniors he felt his nervousness increase by the minute. He had never been into a World Cup tournament let alone a final and tomorrow for the first time in his life he would touch the field that so many only dreamt of stepping into. He had spent many hours as a child watching these games through his TV dreaming of the possibility of one day be a part of this team. Since he was a small boy playing in mini club leagues the dream of representing his country had been inculcated in his mind as a great achievement for a soccer player. And after so long, here he was. The sound of the bell announcing their arrival to the lobby brought him back from his thoughts.

Kyu patted his back and confidently smiled. "Hey, we're all in this together. We've made it this far and we'll make it tomorrow."

Xiun took a deep breath and nodded before walking out of the elevator. Just like the rest of the week they were supposed to meet in the lobby so they could all walk into the restaurant as a team and have breakfast.  

"Morning guys!" Kyu greeted Eriol and Syaoran who, making yesterday the only exception, were always the first to be downstairs waiting for everyone else. Syaoran because he was a nazi when it came to training and well... Eriol simply being his roommate was left with little options. Since he was a light sleeper, once Syaoran was up he truly didn't have any other choice.

"Hey!" Eriol greeted back.

As usual Syaoran didn't say anything but nodded his acknowledgement. He watched in a far distance as his sister walked into the hotel followed by Suri with a big purse on her shoulder and an iPad on her hand. She was scribbling something quickly on the small machine before nodding to whatever his sister was saying. He looked at the door once more to see if by luck his girlfriend would walk in as well. Last time they had seen each other they didn't end up in good terms. He was still pissed off with the whole deal but nonetheless he knew he had to talk to her.

He waited for a couple of minutes while looking around until he let his impatience get the best of him and excused himself in front of his teammates. "I'll be right back."

"What's wrong with him?" Kyu asked as he curiously watched his friend walk away towards his sister.

"Best leave it alone." Eriol simply said. "He's been in a pissed off mood since he woke up this morning."