Chapter 9

CHAPTER 9

Abir : What are you looking at?

She said nothing, just continued to stare.

Abir : Mishti?

She turned to him, and he was struck by how perfect she was. He stared at her without blinking until she spoke.

Mishti : I want a baby.

Abir : EXCUSE ME?

She'd shocked him. He was sputtering, even. She hadn't made her announcement to elicit this sort of reaction, but now that he was sitting there, his mouth hanging open and slack, she couldn't help but take a small amount of pleasure from the moment.

Mishti : I want a baby. (looking at him) Is that wrong?

Abir (still stuttering) : Umm... No.... But....

Mishti (defensively) : I'm old enough to have a child.

Abir : Yes Mishti....

Mishti : I'm getting older every year. Is it so bad that I want a baby of my own?

Abir : No Mishti...

Mishti : I don't have to explain my wishes and actions to you.

Abir blinked. Why was Mishti over reacting?

Abir : I never asked you to.

Mishti (sighing) : I know. I'm sorry. I don't know why I over-reacted.

He said nothing, which irritated her. At the very least, he could have contradicted her. It would have been a lie, but it was still the kind and courteous thing to do.

Finally, because the silence was simply unbearable, she muttered.

Mishti : I just want a child to call my own.

Abir : That's wonderful. But don't you need a husband first?

Mishti rolled her eyes at him.

Mishti : Obviously. That's the main reason I came early this time.

Abir stared at her blankly.

Mishti : Abir! I'm shopping for a husband.

Abir (raising his eyebrows) : How fortunate we men are!

Mishti : Oh shut up! It's what it is. And you had prob­ably best get used to it for your own sake. It's precisely how the ladies will soon be talking about you.

Abir chose to ignore the latter part of her sentence and continued.

Abir : Do you know anyone who would suit you?

She shook her head.

Mishti : I'm sure I can find someone. Maybe my brothers.. can find... someone.

She was trying to sound jolly about it, but the truth was, her voice was dropping in both tone and volume. He looked at her, then slumped back slightly and stared at the water.

Mishti : You're shocked.

Abir : No.. Yes, I am.

She nodded, then rose and walked over to the corner of the river, staring at the horizon.

Mishti (muttering to herself, but Abir could hear her) : I love Nannu. But I can't mourn him forever. I mean, I can, and I will, but...

Abir (softly) : You want a baby.