Chapter 5

I sped up faster and saw the driver holding the detonator yelling out of his window.

Driver: FOR THE GLORY AND GRACE OF ALL MANKIND! THROUGH THE ASHES WE WILL RISE! IN PEACE MAY YOU LEAVE THE SHORE! IN LOVE MAY YOU FIND THE NEXT!

I jerked the steering wheel to the right which rammed the trucked and it struck a large rock. The truck came off of its wheels and flipped over. The large quantity of explosives blew up which sent a shockwave into my vehicle and it was lifted into the air. I saw my life flashing as my car was thrown through the air. I closed my eyes and the last thing I before crashing down was Yumiko.

*Timeskip 4 months*

Waking up, I saw a blinding light and my eyes adjusted. I saw a hospital room that I recognized as Hereford Base's infirmary and I heard a beeping that was my heartbeat monitor.

Gustave: Oh, you're awake. Don't move. You've been in a coma for 4 months.

Shadow: Yumiko.

Gustave: She's ok. She won't talk to anyone.

Shadow: Get her here, please.

Gustave left the room and returned a few minutes later with a very sad looking Yumiko. Her face lit up when she me and wrapped her arms around me. I lifted her onto the bed and laid her on me.

Shadow: I love you, Yumi.

Yumiko: You're an idiot... But you're my idiot and I love you.

I chuckled and hugged Yumiko very tight as she did the same to me.

Gustave: Do you remember what happened?

Shadow: I stopped a truck of explosives and they blew up.

Gustave: Yes, you broke a lot of bones. Most of them have recovered in the time you were in your coma.

Shadow: What did I miss?

Gustave: Phantom Squad was wiped off the face of this planet.

Yumiko: And I got the kill on the leader.

Gustave: Yes. The White Masks are being shrunk more and more everyday. You saved thousands with what you did. Six would like a word with you.

Six entered the room with a small envelope in hand.

Six: May we have a moment alone?

Doc stepped out and Yumi refused to get up.

Shadow: She's fine. Let her stay.

Six: As you wish... The Queen would like to personally honor you as soon as possible.

Shadow: Ok.

Six: And due to your injuries, you are no longer fit for this occupation so you will be honorably discharged from Team Rainbow Six with any arrangements for guards or living quarters.

Shadow: I won't be leaving without Yumi.

Six: Shadow, this isn't optional.

Shadow: I'm not leaving without Yumiko. I don't care who the fuck you are.

Six: Ok, you'll both be honorably discharged.

Shadow: Thank you.

Six: I will meet with you soon.

Six left and Yumi looked up at me.

Yumiko: I love you so much, Y/N. I thought I was going to lose you.

Shadow: I love you too, Yumi. I'm sorry for scaring you.

Yumiko: I understand why you did that.

Shadow: Thank you. Doc told me that you wouldn't talk to anyone.

Yumiko: Grace only.

Shadow: But hey, I'm ok now.

Yumiko: And you saved so many lives.

Shadow: Where are we going after we get discharged?

Yumiko: Where do you want to go?

Shadow: What do you think about the outskirts of Tokyo? Near where we met.

Yumiko: I'm fine with anywhere in Japan.

Shadow: On the hills overlooking the forest.

Yumiko: That would be great as long as I'm with you.

Shadow: And you will be... Where's my family?

Yumiko: Still here and still safe.

Shadow: Good. How are they?

Yumiko: They didn't take this well.

Shadow: I wouldn't either.

I got released from the infirmary and met with Six in his office.

Six: We need to establish a place of reside for the both of you.

Yumiko: We already figured it out.

Six got everything documented and handed me a small bag.

Six: Don't open it near anyone.

Shadow: Ok.

We left Six's office and went to our dorm. Nothing had changed since the last time and I stepped into the bathroom to look at what Six had given me. Inside the bag was a long, skinny box with a note attached. "Mister Y/N "Shadow" L/N,

     For your act of heroism and valor, you are being gifted this title. Wear it with pride and joy. Present this title to all you meet. Do not open this box near anyone. Do not give this box to anyone. This title was created for you and only for you. Wear it with your head high and be proud to be named "Shadow". Your name is known by all and respected by all whether it be out of fear or anything else, wear this with pride.

- Agent Charles "Destiny" Feckleborg, former CIA Agent."

I made sure to keep the note safe and looked in the box. A high quality title was inside made of some sort of fabric. The title was labeled "Shadow" and had Latin under it that read "In deo speramus. Miramur fortitudine et timore veremur." I secured the title on my Velcro area on my right shoulder and placed the box as well as the note back in the small bag. Stepping out of the bathroom, Yumi noticed the bright yellow title quickly and looked at it. We both knew Latin so we knew what the text meant and she hugged me again.

Intercom: ミスターL / Nは私のオフィスに来てください。(Mr. L/N, please come to my office.)

Shadow: I'll be back, my love.

I stepped into Six's office and he sat me down.

Six: We're going to distract Miss Imagawa for 1 hour. Go to this address, you'll know what to do when you get there.

Six gave me a piece of paper with an address on as well as a car key for a Lamborghini and gave a quick nod. I found the address which happened to be a jewelry store and I remembered what Six told me months ago about tightening the rope. I got the ring and got back to Hereford Base. In the cafeteria, all the operators were in front of the small stage while Grace, Yumi, and Six were on it. Yumi was distracted so I slowly got up on stage and waited behind her. She turned around and saw me knelt down with the box open.

Shadow: Yumiko, will you marry me?