In Search of Life

Slowly the couple trudge through the rubble of the temple entrance, stepping over the bodies of fallen Jedi. Some were shot but by blasters, some slain by a lightsaber. "These are lightsaber wounds!" expresses Mahlie. He eyes open in shock. "Those damn Sith, we could've stopped them!" angers Kal. "No" she pauses "we couldn't, look that's the body of Jedi, Padwan, Knights and Masters! If they couldn't win, how could we. We are not as good as you think we are Kally. We are no chosen one" she explains. "Yeah, well I'm glad I'm no chosen one, where was Anakin during all of this? Slain too? Qui Gon was wrong choosing him, did us no good, made us all feel less that's all. We train our lives for this, but Skywalker's always going to be better" Kal remarks. "Shhh! Keep your voice down, it's no time for you to discuss your jealousy, we are not far from entrance" spits Mahlie. Kal groans, even if she was right.' Why did they have to make the court yard so big? Half the fun is getting there, half the fun is getting back' thought Kal. "Psst. Kally look!" whispers Mahlie. She was staring at the protruding horns on Kals head. "Oh wow, what a surprise. The Zabrak has horns" he scoffs. "No! They are reflecting an image of the hallway! And there's someone there, in a Jedi robe" she squeals. "Perhaps a Master! They could help us" continues Kal. The two, scatter, side by side towards the figure. Both panting and sweating like pigs. Kals face dims when he realises who it was. "Anakin Skywalker, what's he doing here? Wandering around celebrating the death of his peers. Wouldn't be surprised." He blurts. "Kal, settle down! This is a matter of life and death, Anakin is the chosen one for a reason, I know you two have a rivalry, but my Master is dead. What if others are too?" she barks, causing the Jedi to stop talking. Kal, holding onto Mahlie's arm, follows her through the intertwining courtyard as they attempt to catch up to Anakin. "ANAK-"she is stopped by the pale, tattoo covered hand. "Remember you were telling me to shush back there, we don't know where that Sith could be hiding" Kal explains. The girl slowly lifts his hand off her mouth, realising her mistake. 'Thanks' she mouths. Finally they reach the entrance, it's dark and cold. Only the light of the burning bodies and buildings shed any light. "Our best chance to find anyone is we split up" whispers Mahlie. "What! No. Mahlie please don't say that" cries Kal, his voice breaking. "What? What is wrong, I thought it was a great idea. We must find help before this chaos erupts again" states Mahlie. "Mahlie, what if something happens, you know I can't lose you" The Zabrak begs. "Relax Kal, I have been trained since I were a youngling, I am more worried about you. I am more experienced and very capable of handling situations. Trust me Kally, it will be fine" she reassures. "We have to use the time we have, we will meet back here in an hour if all goes wrong okay?" she caresses his arm. "Promise?" he croaked. "Promise" she giggles. His arms fold around her tiny body, holding her for what could be the last time. He presses his lips against hers sharing a quick kiss before they release. "I love you Mahlie" he stutters. "I love you too Kal" her eyes begin to fill with tears. She turns around and dashes up a flight of stairs before he could pull her back, her lightsaber at the ready. Kal begins his search for Anakin, before hearing footsteps on the floor above him. 'Troopers!' he thought. The sound of two lightsabers igniting echoes through the room. It was Mahlie, she was in trouble.