21

Okay wattpad was fucked so this was meant to go out last night but here she is. Enjoy!
___________________________

Billie sat uncomfortably on the edge of the bed in the guest room, a little light-headed and feeling hazy. Her nose was a little sore, but at least she could breath more comfortably once again. After getting her nose fixed, Alice had ushered her rapidly to a guest room, stating that whoever was after the two of them had finally come asking for them and for the time being, they should hide. Alice had shoved one of her husband's old night shirts at her and all but locked her in the room. Billie had been instructed to stay in the room and wait until it was safe to come out.

Billie's scrapes on her arms and legs and torso had already been cleaned up in the bath, and she looked and felt wholly clean. But the water had irritated all her injuries, and she sat stiffly, trying not to wince every time her injured skin chafed uncomfortably against the comforter. She idly stared at the puckered skin of her hand. At least it wasn't oozing blood anymore. Alice had left it unbandaged in order to air out the wound to let it breathe a little so it could heal more nicely. But chances were, from the fact that the rusted blade had pretty badly infected it, she would most likely scar disgustingly. At the moment, it was very difficult to clench and unclench her fist, and Billie wondered if she would ever be able to use it again.

The throbbing in her leg briefly grew for a moment, and Billie grimaced while the wave of pain rode on by. She stared down at her bandaged leg, where the gunshot had punctured her skin. Alice had given her a fairly strong sedative in tea to dull the feeling of pain, and she did feel a little less stiff than beforehand, but the pain was ever present, lurking around the corner. She stood shakily, gripping the foot of the bed to test the usability of her leg, but she couldn't take more than a few tentative steps on it without it violently trembling from the effort and with a low growl, she plopped back down on the bed. Great. She couldn't use her hand and her leg might as well have not existed.

Billie frowned. She could barely remember what had happened the night after Brandon had gotten her on Nightlock, and they'd ridden away. Everything was a hazy jumble of lost memories, though she did remember at some point asking him to remove the bullet. And somewhere deep in her mind, she remembered registering the deep, all-encompassing pain that had wracked her body as he had done just that.

But that was as far as she could recall.

After that, she remembered drifting in and out of consciousness in a warm bed. Each time she had woken up, Alice had been changing the towel on her forehead, treating her fever and singing soothingly to her to calm down her shivers and hysteria. She'd asked Billie about her situation, and Billie had revealed it all.

Trying to free her mother, stealing the documents, having to escape, being attacked. Alice had watched her through the entire fever-induced warbling with something akin to horrified astonishment. It had taken a couple days for Billie to somewhat heal from the fever, though she didn't feel completely fine just yet. Once she was much better, Alice had fixed up her nose-which had hurt like a motherfucking bitch-and forced her into the bath, stating that she smelled like the rear end of a mule. Billie hadn't been bathed by anyone since she was a child, but she wouldn't lie. The old woman had done a much better job than Billie could have ever done with one usable hand and a busted leg. It was the first time she could run her fingers through her hair without her fingers getting caught or finding leaves and other creepy crawlies. Zoe would be proud.

And then Billie sighed, lying back onto the bed, worrying her lower lip in between her teeth. All of their plans, everything they'd done to ensure they succeeded had crumbled to the ground and gone so horribly wrong. And it was all because she had been too careless. Too rushed and anxious that she didn't take care to make sure that the situation was under control.