29

"That's the last of the documents" Brandon said, leaving from the backdoor of Mr. James' inn and shutting it quietly so it wouldn't rattle the infrastructure and alert the old man to their intrusion.

They'd finally managed to finish up getting all of the documents and statements to the respective homes of the townsfolk.

"Alright. So what's going on with you?" Ezra asked as he and Brandon headed back over to their horses perched nearby the fence.

"What?" Brandon asked as they climbed up on their respective horses.

"I mean, I'm just saying you've been a little off is all ever since we all reunited. But not in a bad way" Ezra said, putting his hat back on his head and eyeing Brandon, "You're uh...warmer or something like that. But it's like you're guilty or something. Or conflicted."

Brandon frowned but said nothing, taking his pistol out of his holster and cocking it in case they met trouble on their way back.

"...And I kind of think it has to do with a certain blonde sharpshooter."

"We need to head to the town square" Brandon finally responded, ignoring Ezra's comment. He didn't want to think about that right now. Not when they had things to take care of. Now was neither the time nor place to discuss his difficult something like a, but not really relationship with Billie. "Something isn't right"

Ezra sighed, but turned to Brandon with a raised brow. "Fine. You don't want to talk right now. You want to be a stubborn ass. I get it"

Brandon gave him an annoyed look but Ezra shrugged indifferently.

"As I was saying" Brandon reiterated, "there are four fugitives that Wesley should be searching for who could come back to town any minute. By all means, Wesley wouldn't be so dumb as to not have the streets overrun with deputies and people who work for him. We've been travelling all over town tonight, yet haven't encountered a single one of his men."

Ezra's brows rose a bit, and he nodded slowly.

"There should be men looking for us wanted criminals" Ezra added. "And come to think of it, I didn't see any wanted posted anywhere"

"It was too easy to return all the documents" Brandon set his horse off on a light trot, Ezra following close beside him as they kept a vigilant eye out on the horizon and around them for anyone who might be associated with Wesley. "I think Wesley has given up the search for us. But there has to be something else he's planning"

"So that's why we're going to town square? To look for a clue?"

Brandon nodded, "I have a feeling there'll be something there."

"Look, Brandon. You know I trust you with my life. And your gut instinct is usually right about there things" Ezra said nervously, "But what if that something that we could possibly find there is an ambush by Wesley and his men?"

"Better get ready for a fight then" Brandon drawled.

"You know, you might enjoy these brawls and getting into random fights, but I'm a more docile human being, you know" Ezra joked, "I'm gentle and sensitive. There fights are not my thing"

Brandon smirked in amusement, and they continued carefully on their way through the town to the center where the town convened for announcements and executions on occasion. It was fairly deserted as they made their way through with the exception of a few drunk stragglers here and there, but Brandon wasn't particularly worried about them. They seemed too inebriated to be suspicious of the two of them.

"Damn" Ezra muttered, "Haven't been back in this area since I almost got hanged"

Thankfully, the actual town square was devoid of any people, and there was no one near the wall. They trotted towards the town wall near the large tree. There was a sole notice remaining on the board. A notice signed by Wesley addressed to Brandon Adams.