Chapter 14

Skylar's POV

I took a deep breath before holding up my head and walking into my homeroom class with a confidence I did not feel.

I had purposely come later than usual to school, when everyone would already be in class.

Everyone turned to stare at me, gawking. I wouldn't blame them.

My hair was dip-dyed red now, and more makeup was on my face than the usual simple foundation. My hair was styled, out of its usual side braid, and my glasses were different too, a funky zebra design on the frame.
"Contacts are too much trouble, and that's a little too much, even for an extreme makeover..." Delilah had said. "A change of glasses would be fine though."

My outfit was also different than something I'd usually wear. I was wearing a purple and black striped shirt, over a black tanktop, and fashionably ripped jean shorts, with purple wool leggings, and converse style boots. I was also wearing colorful bangles that jingled whenever I moved my arms.
"That's perfect for you. It's a change, but also something that doesn't stray too much from your style. Wouldn't wanna look like you're trying too hard..." Delilah had said, before looking at other outfits in the mall. "Though why would you even want to change, beats me... You're beautiful, Skylar." I had accepted the compliment with a smile, but wouldn't look her in the eyes as I paid for everything.

"Sorry I'm late, Miss." I apologized, making my way to my seat at the back. Some of the guys' eyes followed me, and the girls either smiled encouragingly at me, or glared. I made a mental note to thank Delilah for everything.

Laine, who was in my homeroom, gave a little smile, which I ignored. She'd been there everytime Maura had made fun of me, and never done anything.

"That's alright Skylar, we were just starting the roll call..." Miss Lopez said. "Now then class, pay attention..."

I grinned. I could get used to this.

*********

I hadn't had any classes with Ashton so far, which made me hurry to our usual table in the cafeteria.

I passed Wes Brewer, a popular jock's table, who looked to be having an intense conversation with his friends. Maura and her posse were also sitting there, and she glared menacingly at me. I tried to appear uncaring.

Ashton and the group, minus Jo, were already at the table, and he had to do a double take as he stared at me.

"H-Heey, Skye... What's up?" He reached for a strand of my new hair, making sure his eyes were working correctly.

"Nothing much. Just thought it was time for a change..." I had made my decision last night, on my way to Delilah's apartment. I was going to be a better me from now on. I was sick and tired of being bullied, and the only way to stop it was to give them no reason to bully me. I hoped that had done it.

"Hey, Skylar!" I looked up to see Wes Brewer, star athlete, calling after me. Oh God. "Would you like to sit with me and my friends today?"

"I-I don't know-" Ashton gave me a look. Both Michael and Luke were nodding at me. They all clearly wanted me to go.

"Sure. I guess one lunch period wouldn't hurt." I answered. Wes grinned.

I awkwardly stood at the table while Wes got me a chair. All conversation stopped as he cleared his throat.

"Guys, most of you know Skylar, right? She's gonna be joining us for lunch today." He casually slung an arm over my shoulder as I sat down next to him.

A girl I didn't know the name of struck up a conversation with me about where I got my hair dyed, saying she was thinking of getting pink streaks in her hair, and next thing I knew I was laughing with the populars like we were old friends.