Chapter 3: Frenemies

The streets of Chernobog were more heavily packed as Reunion members began increasing their search for us.

We had to take more caution into account. The Reunion leaders had posted Sniper soldiers on towers and rooftops. Exusiai had to make calls for when it would be safe to pass their line of sight of if she could knock them out and allow us to pass.

It was tight, but in about an hour or so, we had made it seventy percent of the way to the extraction point.

"Looks like we can make it," I spoke up attempting to cheer up the team.

"Not yet Doctor," Texas replied, "We still have a long way before celebration is in order."

We had progressed to about a mile away from the extraction zone.

"Leaving so soon?" A voice rang up.

Some building rubble behind us exploded blocking any form of escape from the current area.

"I should've known you would have survived that wound I gave you," She said again.

I looked out into the distance and saw a familiar figure.

"AH! You don't seem too happy to see me... Doctor," She  spoke with a smile.

"Doctor, do you know her?" Amiya asked.

"Yes, I do." I replied looking at the woman with a stern look.

"Her name's W," I explained.

"Now then, I've been given a direct order to either hand you over to Mephisto or, to kill you here. So, what shall it be. I would prefer the more, entertaining route if you would please." W spoke.

"Doctor let's... " Texas spoke up, but I cut her off.

"Is this about HER?" I asked, "Its been awhile, so I assume that since you haven't already killed us, its either that you want to be entertained a bit longer or that you have ulterior motives."

W looked at me for a bit and then jumped down from the rubble.

"So it seems that you haven't forgotten after all this time, Doctor. About how you failed her and us too." W stated with a sadistic look on her face.

"Oh how it would be so easy to end you here after your failure, your promise to protect her." W stated, "But I suppose you don't care do you? Its all about that precious cure your after. I wonder how many others you sacrificed to get some worthless information about a cure."

I looked down at all of her accusations.

"So tell me Doctor," W stated pointing her M4A1 at me, "Why shouldn't I kill you here and now? I tried to spook you with that little claymore, but it seems your harder to kill than I gave you credit for. I won't miss a second time."

I looked W in the eyes. With that Sadistic look on her face and those devilish eyes, I could tell that behind them was all pain and agony. W wasn't some merciless killer, she was very similar to Theresa. I should've done better by those two.

"I don't have a reason why you shouldn't kill me. Your right about everything I've done. To be honest, its a miracle I am even alive still. So if my death can bring some peace of mind to you, then do so." I stated. I opened my arms showing W I was ready to die.

"DOCTOR!" Amiya shouted.

The squad tried rushing to protect me.

But W showed them a detonator.

"Anyone makes a small move towards me and we all get blown up!" W screamed.

By this point everyone realized that the whole area was filled with bombs ready to explode.

"So, this is it? You finally realize that your a monster just like I am. A ruthless killer just wanting to get whatever selfish desire you want realized?" W asked me.

"Yes. So if you want to kill me, do so." I replied.

W looked at me a bit longer.

I closed my eyes waiting for the end.

A second goes by.

Then a minute.

I open my eyes to look at W. That ear to ear grin was replaced by a sadness then quickly replaced by another grin.

"ha.... hahaha..... HAHAHAHA!" W started to laugh.

"So, the great Doctor of Rhode Island now has a conscience!?" W screamed.

"What kind of Hell did you go through huh?" It must've been really scary for you to change like this? I think I'll let you live a bit longer. Show me your resolve Doctor, your life of  regrets should be entertaining enough for me." W shouted.

W lowered her M4A1 and allowed me to stand. As she walked past me, I heard her speak a line. But didn't reply to it.

I watched as W jumped through rubble and out of sight.

"What.. was that?" Asked Texas.

"A ghost of a past mistake." I replied.

(I'm sorry W).