Chapter 5: Downtime

Since our return to Rhode Island, things around the facility are back to normal.

Many of the Operators have gone about their daily task whether they be small things like preparing rations or building their strength in the training room.

Most of my tasks consists of checking out potential new recruits, building our relations with either Penguin Logistics or BlackSteel. Exusiai, Texas, and Liskarm have remained with us for awhile and have yet to return to their respective groups.

Kal and I have yet to talk things out, but I know that some things take time to mend.

Amiya has remained by my side, guiding me through these hard times as a bit of a small light.

- Some Time Later -

"Reports have come in from Lungmen," Kal'Stit spoke up.

"Lungmen, about what?" I asked.

"Apparently Reunion has finished off Chernobog, and the survivors are traveling to Lungmen. Lungmen has asked for our aid as we aren't too far from them. This could be mutually beneficial for us. We could use extra supplies and resources if we are going to continue to look for a cure."

"Yes that makes sense. However, its best if we come to a complete agreement in person. Should we be too hasty and just agree without a full contract between us it could prove to be troublesome."

"Alright. Its settled then, you and I will meet with the Lungmen leader and make a full contract between them and Rhode Island. Although, you should let me do the talking."

Kal spoke with an icy glare.

"Should I hear something to chime in on, I will speak up," I retorted with an equally stern look.

She sighed, and said, "Fine."

I started to head out as she spoke up.

"I'm... sorry."

"Its alright. Its completely fine to be a bit harsh towards me. I totally dropped the ball on us," I replied softly.

"I know. But since you've returned, you have been making a change here. You have given some concern towards the operators, they seem happier and more at ease. You have started to turn this once dark and gloom environment into a home for everyone. Maybe I should give you a little credit." She gave me a smile.

"Its not much. All I've done is given a few smiles and a bit of encouragement to everyone."

"It goes a long way."

"I guess. Still, there's a lot I have to do to repay the debt for those who have fallen. Ever since I had THAT experience, I can't shake off this feeling I have when I see people. I feel their pain and their sorrow, I feel like I need to tell them that its okay, that there is hope."

"Doctor... "

I closed my eyes. I can still see the faces of all the operators I sent to their deaths. I can feel the sense of duty I have for the living and to protect the few we have.

"Doctor I... you still wear it, don't you?"

 I looked down at my ring finger.

"I couldn't bring myself to part with it, even back then

"I couldn't bring myself to part with it, even back then. When I vowed to wed you, it was till death do we part. I can still see you wearing it too. Its funny how you built Amiya's rings like ours."

"I... yeah I guess your right," Kal replied softly laughing to herself as she looked down.

"But things are different now I guess." I stated.

Kal looked back up.

"It just couldn't work out. With everything back then and even now," Kal replied.

"I know." I stated.

"Well, I guess I'll be seeing you around Kal." I replied.

I got up and walked out.

"Yeah, I'll see you around." Kal stated getting back to her duties.