thirty-two

Three weeks later

"I don't remember moving being this hard. Packing seemed much easier when mom kicked me out of the house and I only had one hour to pack my stuff," Julia spoke when she heard Dom finally walking from the bathroom back to the bedroom after being in there for at least thirty minutes.

She heard him giggle which made her look up at him. She wasn't only greeted by his green eyes but also by the strong smell of his cologne.

"Why are you dressed like..." Julia trailed off, looking at his blouse and black pants.

"Like I'm going to an award show?" he asked her, making her chuckle in her turn.

"Something like that, yeah. We're just gonna see Senna and her girlfriend. It's not that special."

"And your dad," Dom said seriously, "whom I haven't seen in a long time. I want him to know that I'm still... the old me."

Julia stood up from the floor she had been sitting on in front of her suitcase and walked over to Dom to fix his collar before kissing his lips.

"I promise you, he knows that."

Dom gave her a somewhat nervous smile and kissed her again. She never understood why he was so nervous about meeting her parents every time, but it never faded. It was cute in a way.

"Let's go," Julia told him quickly. "I don't wanna think too much because I'm gonna cry about seeing Senna for the last time."

"In a while," Dom corrected her, pulling her back when she was about to walk away. "Not forever."

"Because we don't know when we'll be back it feels like forever," Julia told him sadly, making him nod understandably.

"We can always fly her over to America."

"My mom would never let that happen," Julia said with a small smile as she tucked Dom's slightly long hair behind his ear. He ruffled his hair immediately to let it fall over his face again.

"I don't care." He sticked his tongue out and tried to lick Julia's face after that just to make her laugh. It did work, but she pushed him away quickly.

"You're gross. You know I hate it when you do that."

"I know," Dom laughed and he pulled her back just to lift her up by wrapping his arms around her hips and carry her outside the room. "We're running late. Let's go."

-

"His house is big for just himself," Dom said in awe as he looked up at the highest window of the house that was slightly open.

Julia nodded and nervously knocked on the door twice even though she had rang the bell just a few seconds earlier. "He has a good job."

Dom nodded as he ran his hand through his hair, but he didn't have time to answer as the door swung open. Julia expected to see Senna in the doorway, but instead she was greeted by her little step sister who had the biggest excited smile on her face.

"Sofia?" Julia spoke surprised, crouching down immediately to hug the little girl and lift her up, while at the same time looking into the house searching for someone to explain.

Just as she had lifted Sofia up who now had her arms tightly around Julia's neck, Senna came running to the front door as well.

"Hi honey!" Julia hugged Senna while carrying Sofia on her hip. "I expected you to open the door, not Sofia!"

"Surprise," Senna laughed as she hugged Julia a little tighter before she let go and just looked at Julia with shiny, excited eyes.

"How did you bring her?"