Chapter 40

GISELLE

"Father!"

Achilles was quick to stand up, pulling me with him as he does before we both faced the old Mr. Mancini who was looking at us, horrified.

"Uh, G-Goodmorning Mr. Mancini," I greeted, still trying to be civil.

The horrified face of Mr. Mancini suddenly turned serious before he cleared his throat.

"Achilles, in your office. Now." he said before he walked towards Achilles' office.

"I'll be back," Achilles whispered to me before he leaned in and placed a soft kiss on my lips, catching me by surprise.

He took a fresh towel and started wiping his hands and face before he walked out of the kitchen.

I stood on my spot for a minute, still shocked from everything that happened before I slapped myself back to reality and started cleaning up.

I can't believe I was laughing and running around like a fucking teenager just a minute ago, same goes for the Don of the Italian mafia.

After securing the freshly baked cupcakes on a glass dome, I made my way towards Achilles' office.

I was about to knock when I heard them conversing.

"You married her," I heard the voice of Mr. Mancini.

"How'd you know?" Achilles asked.

"I saw the ruby ring," his father answered.

Achilles didn't say anything for a while before I heard Mr. Mancini again.

"I threatened her..." he trailed off.

I'm pretty sure it was me he was referring to.

"The reason why she left," Mr. Mancini continued.

"It was partly my fault," Achilles added before I heard a sigh.

There was a long pause from the both of them that left me wondering what they were both doing.

I was about to leave when I heard the low voice of Mr. Mancini.

"Achilles, I'm sorry,"

There was silence again. Even I froze in my spot from what I heard.

Did I hear that right or am I hallucinating?

Cristiano Mancini said he was sorry?

"For what?" Achilles asked after a few minutes passed.

"For Athena—"

"Why are you bring her up now?!" it was clear that Achilles didn't want to talk about it.

"Because I need to!" Mr. Mancini fired back.

If they were to fight I swear I wouldn't know what to do, Mrs. Mancini isn't here anymore.

"If you think you could do the same to my wife, you're wrong! Touch her and I swear I'll end you. Father or no father!" Achilles' voice was dripping with warning.

He was dead serious but for some reason, my heart decided to do a somersault.

"I don't plant to," Mr. Mancini answered catching me by surprise.