Chapter three(NEW)

Day two: part one

                I was in a room, a plain looking room. Strange noises and lights went off simultaneously. I was laying under a thin sheet on a cold surface. A light shown in my face making it hard for me to see, then a calm voice spoke to me.

“Don’t worry, you’re going to be okay.” It was a woman, she sounded young. I couldn’t see her face, only the outline of her dark hair.

“I’m scared.” I tell her. She grabs my hands, hers was warm to the touch.

“Don’t be afraid.” She says to me.

“I can’t do this.” I could feel my body become numb; I couldn’t move anything. My heart began to pound as the woman let go of my hand. As soon as she let go, I felt myself begin lowered into water.

“Wait!” I cried out. Before I knew it, my entire body was submerged under water, the pressure in my ears felt like it was going to burst, my lungs felt like they were going to explode.

Another woman’s voice came into my mind, an older woman. Remember WICKED is…”

                My body jumped, waking me up from that awful dream. My hands immediately went up to my neck, gently resting there in relief that I could breathe. Sliding out of my hammock, I was surprised to find it to be dark out. The air was cool and pleasant; a handful of the boys were up and about getting ready for the days work. As I took my step the ground shook beneath me; the birds that were nesting in the trees took to the sky as the walls began to separate.

I watched as the massive walls disappeared within each other. How was that even possible? Did the boys move it? Was there some kind of special button they pressed every morning?

I didn’t know anything about this Glade, or why any of us were sent here. There had been a group of five or six guys standing by the opening, each one had on a special pack strapped onto him. Walking towards the opening of the wall I watched all six of them run into the opening of it. Still I began walking towards it when I heard someone shouting. It was a big guy, he was running at me full speed, and he looked angry.

He grabbed me by the arms and pulled me away from the wall.

“Let go!” I placed my hand on his chest and lightly push him off me. He lets go, but he still too close for comfort.

“The hell were you doing Greenie?” he said between his teeth.

“I was just looking. What, am I not allowed to look at a wall?” I stepped closer to him and he took one step back.

“Stay away from it.” He commanded.

“Who are you?” I cross my arms waiting for an answer.

“Gally. Now listen to me and do not go in there. It’s bad enough we have a new problem,” he gestured his hand toward me and continued, “we don’t have time to save your ass if you get lost in there.”

I laughed in disbelief. “I don’t need anyone to do anything. Why would I need saving out there?” Gally shook his head and chewed at the bottom of his lip, walking away from me. I was right on his heels asking him numerous questions, all of which he ignored. Swiftly he turns around, grabs me by the shoulders and looks me dead in the eyes.

“Don’t go in there. Just forget about it okay?” I could tell he was being serious and not a jackass. He loosened his grip on my shoulders, turned and walked away.

I hadn’t noticed the other boys who had woken up and were listening, nor did I notice how blue the sky had turned when the sun came out of hiding. Looking around at everything and everyone, this place was beautiful. The field of green grass spread out towards the walls, a large garden was fully in bloom and being tended to; the goats and pigs were talking among themselves in their own corrals while they were being fed; A line of trees stood at the East side of the Glade.

Why would anyone want to leave?

                The day went on as normally as any other day in the Glade would have gone, besides me, the problem, being around. Alby had given me “the tour” of the glade. He explained to me what everything is and how it functioned, how they function. He explained that outside the walls lie a maze and told me exactly what Gally had this morning. “Don’t ever leave. Do you understand me?”

I slowly shook my head yes and asked, “but if I did…what would I find out there?”

“Nothing, because you’re not going to enter the Maze.”

Newt took me around to see the different jobs and place me in one they thought I was suitable for. I passed on being a slicer, I didn’t want to be a builder, I couldn’t be a runner since I was already forbidden to leave this place. We came to the Med-house where Clint, a curly headed boy and Jeff, a dark-skinned boy with short black hair were applying a bandage to one of the slicers hands.

“Clint, and Jeff meet the Greenie.” I hated that they called me that. I tried so hard to remember my real name, but it wouldn’t come to me no matter how hard I concentrated. The two boys stood up and greeted me, shook my hand and began asking me a million questions.

“You ever bandaged up a slicer before?” Clint asked. I shook my head no.

“Ever treat a fever?” Jeff added. Again, I shook my head no.

“Have you ever had to stitch up a finger?” Clint asked holding up his right hand in a strange bent up way.

“Uh…I just got here yesterday.” I nervously laugh.

“Right, well the boys could always use an extra hand here.” Newt says.

“But the tour isn’t over yet, we have to see the rest of the jobs for you.” He finishes.

I didn’t know what to think of this place, or the people for that matter. It was strange yet it all fit together like a puzzle. As I walked along side Newt, he was talking but I couldn’t tell you what because my mind blocked him out when I began thinking of my dream this morning. I couldn’t get that feeling of being submerged in water out of my head.

“You alright?” Newt stopped walking and looked at me.

“Yeah, I was just thinking.” I gave him a half smile, and we resumed our walking.