Cold Hands of Silence

Lillian's swollen eyes grazed over the black pool of fabric in front of her. For the past two days she had been frozen on her bed, unable to move. The heart within her chest beating so softly, it was almost impossible to hear. Three loud knocks appeared on her door. She looked up, but stayed silent. Voices whispered behind the solid oak, a familiar, soft, musical tone she craved, commanding everyone to leave her alone. The others were impatient, but the blonde was too stubborn to allow their enterance. When they reluctantly agreed, the door opened.

The room was a clear reflection of Lillian's state. Such a mess, that Klaire couldn't keep the hurt from her eyes when she locked her sights on her friend. Her soul slightly darkned at the broken girl in front of her. Picking up a black, lacy, dress, Klaire slid onto the bed, and pulled her friend against her. Lilli grabbed a hold of the large grey sweater and lost control of the tears she had been holding back. Ever since they had met the day her mother died, Klaire was the one person she lost control with. It was a relief to cry in front of her. She wasn't they type to create a speech on why everything was going to be okay, no she was the wall Lilli was able to hide behind and protect herself from the cruel world around her.

Her presence was like the small flame of a lighter when one was surrounded by darkness. No words were ever needed. Just seeing Klaire was like a gasp of fresh air for Lillian.

"Klarissa..." A weak voice called out from the crack of the door. She remained silent, focusing only on her friend.

"It's okay." Lillian croaked, knowing who was waiting on the other side. With a worried glance, Klaire crawled off the bed and poked her head into the hallway. Mark was leaning against the wall, his black sweats hanging low on the 'V' of his hips, and white guaze covering the wounds of his muscular torso. If the situation would have been different, Klaire would have been blushing.

"You should be in bed."

"Is she okay?"

"Of course not," Klaire snapped, "How could someone be okay after loosing their father?"

"I...I didn't mean it like that Klaire." Mark dropped his gaze to the floor causing Klaire to mentally kick herself for lashing out like that, "She's our leader now. With Anthony gone, she will have to be our temporary Alpha."

"Can't they turn to you?"

"They have to be of alpha blood. Everyone is confused and lost, all they can think about is who they can lean on-"

"The pack can come to me. I know I'm not even a wolf, but Lilli is in no way ready for the pack. Can't you feel it, the girl is barely even alive."

"Klaire-"

"Please back me up on this. I'm worried she won't get back up if we put to much on her this time." With a sigh Mark brought his eyes back up to Klaires. He could see the protectivness radiating in her eyes, he knew at that moment that challenging her would turn into an issue.

"Alright." Klaire smiled and then back tracked into her room shocked to find Lilli in the black dress she had picked out.

"His funeral is soon." She whispered.

"You don't have to go Lill."

"Mark is right Klaire. I'm the alpha now. I need to show the pack that they aren't alone." Klaire opened her mouth to abject but stopped. Lillian was taking a huge stop by doing this, she was no where near being ready to take control, but Klaire knew seeing Lillian would not only be good for the pack, but good for herself.

"I can jump in if you need me to."

"They would love that," Lillian joked, "A speech from the worlds worst speaker."