Chapter 5: Shadows

╔═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╗

The wind howled savagely, echoing through the caves and high mountains, through the thick boreal forests of spruce and pine, their branches shakily holding large clumps of titanium white snow. The ground was littered with pine needles, pinecones and snow.

The mountain region always seemed to be stuck in a form of eternal winter, the air cold, frost kissing new emerging plants and shrubs. And even though it was near freezing, wild cloudberries still flourished in their small clumps beside the roots of the trees, fallen trunks and large stones that jutted out of the ground like the horns of some dead beast. The berries almost beamed with their beautiful gold and sunset red colours, contrasting the blank yet beautiful white of snowdrops which also grew.
Rivers and small streams ran through the forest, ice still being dragged across the surface as the water rushed downstream, salmon swimming about in the deeper pools, fins rippling against the current.

The mountains stood, apex over the small world that lay before them.

Claws scraped against stone and footsteps soon followed after it, snow crunching under boots.
A sigh, fabric shuffling, charms clinking.

A male stared out towards the sprawling forest and beyond it, his icy blue eyes piercing the sky as he squinted, gripping the hilt of his sword tightly.
"I sense danger."He muttered lowly and he moved his head up to his right, hat swaying as he gazed up at his large beast of a companion who did nothing but seemingly growl in response.
A small yet cold smile formed on his face as he looked back towards the forest.

And the smoke that rose from the edge of it all, with the light glow of fire and embers.

"Come on, Armo." His strong accent rang out, almost drowning out the clarity from his words.
The beast beside him looked towards the smoke, the fires before lowering his head and throwing it up to the sky. Roaring.
A sound that shook the mountains, the birds which shot out of the trees and swiftly flew towards the chaos.

The man smiled and pulled out his sword, turning and gripping the saddle on the beast's back, hauling himself up.

"Ride on Armo."
And the beast almost grinned in delight before leaping off the ledge they had perched on. 

╚═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╝

America had been reading all night, attempting to refresh his mind with other ideas and thoughts from the books he had been given. He had decided upon the books about fantasy and history, ignoring the largest book which sat on his writing desk, abandoned. A love story.

He trailed his fingertips down the page before turning it, humming quietly to himself as he read.
The room was nice and quiet and he slowly lowered his book, sliding in the bookmark he had found stuffed in the front page. Resting it in his lap, he turned to gaze out the window, curtains drawn as they had been all night. Reading under the stars which had flickered gently in the night prior.
The sun was now starting to rise, rays of light beaming and flashing through the gaps in the trees and their leaves, clouds dragging themselves across the sky, birds beginning to awaken from their roosting.
Even the grass, still wet with the early morning dew, gave off their own glimmers of sunlight as America stared out of the window, squinting at the light.
Quietly, he moved and placed his book atop the bedside table. Although he was tired due to the lack of sleep he gazed towards the door, debating going out and exploring this...place, to clear his growing boredom.
Despite that... King lurking about, he still wanted to go out.

And as if summoned, there was an answering knock at the door, causing America to flinch a little in surprise as he gawked towards it, fear starting to cascade into his mind. But he quickly dismissed it, hesitantly pushing himself off of his bed and strolling over to the door.
He wasn't sure if it would be a good idea to open it, scared of who it may be on the otherside. A stranger, a beast-

"I know you're there, America! I can hear you..-"Ukraine blurted before perking up as the door opened, a grin appearing on his face until he took in the light purple bags under America's eyes.
"Did you-?" The werewolf paused as he slowly looked over to see the books on the bedside table, the bookmark that stuck out of one of them.
A sigh left him, "You need to get more sleep America... It's not good to stay up all night."

America shook his head, "I'll be fine. Don't worry about it."He smiled softly, rubbing at his eyes carefully and stretching his arms over his head.
Ukraine hummed and his ears flicked. He wore baggy pants, knee-high boots and a white tunic, flowers embroidered with golden thread into the cuffs, matching Ukraine's common crown of freshly picked flowers.