Chapter Thirty-Nine: The Second Death of General Hadlow

"No," Rose blurted. "That doesn't make any sense. It should be someone else. We can't afford to lose you." Myra shot her a glare and she shut up.

"Trust me, Rose," she hissed. Her heir nodded her head in deference. 

"Rose is right," Talia said, shaking her head. "Someone less important should go." Maia nodded fiercely.

"We need you, Myra. I could go. With my lightning—" Myra turned to her, eyes on fire.                                                          

"You're right," she told Talia and Maia, smiling slowly. "Layla should go instead. I am quite sure that Jasper would be able to handle the assassination himself." It was blackmail, and it was cruel but Myra didn't care. Anything—anything at all—was worth it in order to make sure she was there to protect Jasper. Talia's glinting blue eyes seethed with rage and fear.      

"Well, I suppose you would be able to look after yourself if things went wrong. This mission needs to be handled by the best after all."                     "Talia—" Zara whispered frantically. "This is stupid. Myra can't—"     

"Shut up, Zara." The elf snapped. Zara quietened, befuddled.                  

"I think Myra should go." Nala agreed, shooting her one last desperate look. Jasper smiled, oblivious to the war that had just gone on between them.

And so they would risk the war on a single mission, make a stupid and dangerous decision to protect the ones they loved. Myra shook her head, already bone-weary early in the morning. Because they had dared to love too much, to care too much they would risk everything. Even Nala. What fools we are she thought to herself. How were we stupid enough to care about a person more than a people? Nala, Talia, her...they had all sworn the cause above their lives, above their friends, above everything.

Their broken promises might destroy everything.

————————————————

"Are you sure you can break out of those?" Jasper asked nervously as they prepared to enter the capital. Myra only rolled her eyes at him.             

"Jasper, I could break out of these things even if you had been trying to make them work. I've got out of identical ones about ten times this morning."                                                                                                                   "I'm just trying to keep you alive," Jasper sighed. "Like you're trying to do for me." Myra faltered, seeing he was suddenly serious. "I know what you did was a bad move. I know that you're risking so much for me, Myra. I just want to say...thank you. For everything you've done for me."       

"It makes me a fool," she said, shaking her head. "You. Kestra. I'm risking so much right now. And I don't regret it."  She gave him one last hopeful, desperate look. "Please, Jasper, don't do this.We can find another way. There has to be another way." Jasper only shook his head.          

"Don't lie to me, Myra," he said, smiling slightly. "I know this is the only way. I know this is what the rebellion needs." He fixed her with a long look. "I  was a coward before. Never again."                                                             

"I'm coming with you." Myra said firmly. "If you want to do this—any of this—then don't think you're doing it without me by your side."                         "I wouldn't want it any other way," Jasper grinned. "How's Kestra?"  Her face darkened. Kestra wasn't exactly happy about any of this.