Chapter Fifty-Five: Elena the Eldest

The world was spiralling toward a fate that was never meant to be. Elena could feel it in her bones. Yet her mother told her not to interfere. That they couldn't change the destinies of the realm any longer. Because if they did, the last witch might awaken.

No, Lyra had said. We must leave the valkyries and elves to save themselves. There was nothing—nothing at all—that their goddesses could do for them now.

But Elena had been watching this world wreck itself for a very, very long time. She had watched wars and tragedies play out. Watched her children destroy one another. Watched an Empress destroy them. And she was tired of watching. Tired of doing nothing as elves and valkyries suffered and

died. It was time to interfere.

So Elena called Aella, her favourite daughter, to her.

"Aella Elenith," she commanded. "Daughter of mine, Queen of all elves. I ask you to go down to the earth and save your brethren."

"Lyra will not be happy about this," her daughter warned. "I cannot disobey the Mother."

"You must." Elena commanded. "Or else all your people—and your heir—will perish. Layla needs you, daughter. Go to her. Now! Before it is too late for all of us."

"This will destroy me. All that is left of my soul. There will be no afterlife left for me."

"I know," Elena said, fighting back tears. Her daughter would be the price.

"As you command," the first Elfin Queen said, bowing her head at her mother. "As you command."