Chapter 5: The Lorehouse

The trial was hardly complete and the drover's banishment not yet executed, when with hearty shouts, Lords Thomas and Edward took him to the best inn in Stonegate. With his hair loosened from under his cap, cheeks flushed with victory and southern wine and his newly-won sword at his waist, Don looked more like a warrior than a loreman.

Lord Thomas brushed off Don's promise to pay him for his spokesman's fee, saying that there would be plenty of time for that in the future. Don had wished to go and meet the Stonegate Loremaster then and there, but Lord Edward counseled that he should return and guest at his home for as many days as may be until his arm had healed. This sounded sensible, for in truth the deeper wound on his upper arm had again broken open and bled somewhat. With a smile, Don readily accepted the invitation.

The next days were glowing, wrapped in the green embrace of spring. Buds swelled on the trees along the riverbank. The notes of the poor-will drifted over the fields. The crocus and paint brush splashed points of blue and red across slopes newly warmed by friendly sun. Don was happy.

For nearly two weeks, Don remained in Westerly-Stead, the fortress and home of Lord Edward. But, in truth, Edward was master of a wide domain, pasturing his cattle for many miles to the north and west. Besides being a Stonegate Councilman, he commanded the Westerly levy in time of war. He also judged lawbreakers, together with the Mayor of Westerly, a small settlement several miles to the East. He retained many young men to herd his cattle and guard them from raiders. Several of his neighbors often joined their smaller herds with his, usually providing a son or two to help guard and allowing their grazing land to be used in common. These riders were also Westerly's scouts and gave good service in time of war. Stonegate, being much larger, was responsible for long-range patrolling, far to the west. Westerly covered the northern arc, and kept an eye on the low range of hills to that direction.

But matters of defense did not concern Don. He did have many pleasant talks with Lady Wilma, which brightened his visit. She had a sharp mind, and was an expert in herb-lore. She took a motherly interest in Don, even though not much more than ten years older. He often chatted with her in the late afternoons and evenings, while he assisted the old scribe that handled the written records of the farm. Don put his skills with a pen and numbers to good use, and felt that he at least earned his keep.

He and Howard also became good friends. The lad was so impressed by Don's tales of the elders that he asked his father if he could buy some old books to read. This greatly pleased Lord Edward, who felt that the boy had shown too little interest in reading and pencraft. He had often counseled the boy that some lore-wisdom was a good quality in a man, since it helped him decide difficult problems and raised his esteem in the community. Too much had the opposite effect, unless, of course, one was a loreman.

Don often accompanied Lord Edward or Howard as they went about their duties, overseeing the affairs of their estate. Though only 16 years old, Howard clearly did the work of a man. Don learned the rudiments of horsemanship, and the lay of the land around westerly. The Cash River flowed near the farmstead, coming from a deep gorge in the mountains to the West, and flowed east until it made a loop to the south at Stonegate. Many small canals led out of the stream, following paths laid down in elder days, and created a rich network of fields and orchards.

Whenever he could, Don talked with Rachel. She seemed to enjoy his company, and was very interested in the stories of his life in Goldstone and his recent adventures. Though Don rarely saw here alone, he often told tales of elder days while sitting in the great hall before the fire. Lord Edward's family and his retainers were appreciative. She sat with the others and smiled into his eyes. Sometimes the old gate guard, Ralph, played the taro, a stringed instrument popular in the South, and Rachel often sang. Her voice was sweet and pure. Sometimes she sang love songs, and it was then that Don's heart hammered in his breast and temple.