Chapter 22: A Beginning

CHAPTER XXII

A BEGINNING

 They began the patrol on Friday morning.  “First Call” roused the trainees in the semi-darkness, who were fed oatmeal, boiled eggs, and coffee for breakfast.  Each man was responsible for saddling his own mount and drawing the supplies for three days.  They stood in formation, while Don performed the inspection.  He was not concerned about spit and polish.  This was a ready check.  Don stopped to see how sharp the sword of this man was.  On another man, he checked the keenness of the spear, on another, the arrows in his quiver.  The gear had to be fastened so that it did not rattle.  Each man had to have 5 quarts of grain and a feedbag.  Horses’ hooves had to be clean and well shod.  Anyone who did not pass had to double-time around the parade ground, leading his horse, and then fix the discrepancy.  The armorer was there with files, and the farrier was available to tighten loose shoes.  They soon found themselves busy.

 The bugler played “Boots and Saddles” as dawn broke. Don reported the three troops ready, and Robert gave the order to mount.  They departed in a column of twos.  Half of the scouts had already gone ahead, and Don led the way, following their tracks.  The air was crisp, with a strong breeze from the west.  They headed southwest, but they eventually planned to climb and proceed west along the higher benches along the south side of the river valley.  This was the area that the Diné had faithfully patrolled for months.  Don had wanted to see it for some time, ever since he had heard there were overlooks that allowed one to see into the Prophet’s dominion – the Junction Valley.   They would not go that far on this first trip, however.

 A small baggage train brought up the rear.  It consisted of two packers, a cook, horseholders, packhorses, and five remounts.  One of the pack horses was Red, carrying Don’s and Robert’s personal gear.  Red had been getting fat and lazy, and it was time for him to earn his keep.  Don saw no reason not to have a comfortable bed.  Red’s pack included a bedroll and a small tent, which would keep them dry in case of rain.  They brought also a large tent to use as a headquarters in the field, and several canvas flies to put over the camp kitchen.  They planned to be out three days.  One day to ride to their campsite and set up a field headquarters; one full day of field exercises, and a full day to break camp and return to Fort Baldy.

 They divided the recruits into three under-strength troops of 30-40 men each.  An experienced veteran was put in charge of each, as Acting Troop Leader.  Abel of the House of Healing had agreed to come along as an official observer, and he could also serve as a healer, if necessary.  Philip would accompany him, which puzzled Don when Robert told him of the plan. 

 Don crossed the Roaring Fork to the south of Ariel, and just as he did he saw two riders approaching them from the north. Don directed Eddie, a Diné scout, to take the lead. Then he reined to one side and greeted them both.  They were Philip and Abel.  Robert joined them and Don made the introductions. They sat on their mounts and talked as they watched the recruits ford the swift stream.  Don smiled at Philip.  “Good to see you again,” he said.  “How did you link up with Abel?”

 Philip returned the smile. “That is for Abel to say,” he returned.  “But it is good to see you, Lord Donald.”

 “Aaron introduced us, Donald,” answered Abel.  “He suggested that I might be able to use a helper in the armory.  And, he was right, I do need some help.  Philip can read and write and has been keeping track of who’s been issued arms.  But I also have been teaching him something of healing.  I think he is going to make an excellent medic.”

 “I want to help,” said Philip, eagerly.  “That is why I want to come along.  I can carry messages and help the medics, and scout, and ….”