Chapter 23: A Raid to Remember

CHAPTER XXX111

A RAID TO REMEMBER

 The week following their Sunday return was as crowded as a manger at feeding time.  Samuel, they learned, had scheduled a graduation parade for Saturday.  The three troops were going to parade through the streets of Ariel, be commissioned by the city fathers, and then return to Fort Baldy for an ox-roast.  Robert calmly told Don that he would have to take over for the rest of the week.

             “So, Donald, the load will fall on you, I’m afraid,” he said.  “I have to go back to my own horses for a few days.”  They were standing by the headquarters buildings, watching the second patrol of the day mount up.  Dust was rising from the lance course.  They could hear the tapping of a hammer from the direction of the farrier’s shop.

             “Very well,” retuned Don. “You want me to make final assignments to the three troops, select commanders and all the rest.  But don’t you want to at lest look over the lists before Saturday?”  Don had fully expected that Robert would make these decisions.  Don realized that he would now have to plan all the details of the ceremony and festivities, continue to oversee the last week’s training schedule, dispatch two patrols per day, and debrief them when they returned, and supervise the garrison.  On top of that, with Robert gone, he would now have to attend daily meetings in Ariel, to say nothing of overseeing the final construction of the Fort’s water system and fortifications.  He felt inadequate and apparently it showed on his face.

             “Don’t get all in a stew,” advised Robert, with a wry grin.  “Take things as they come.  We discussed the organization several times.  We want three troops.  Call them the “Bow” troop, the “Blade” troop and the “Spear” troop, unless you can think of something better.  Put all the top archers in the Bow troop, the best swordsmen in the Blades and so on.”  He laughed and raised both hands as if to ward off a hail storm.  “I know.  I know.  You think it a mistake to give one troop all the best archers.  But I want to know where they are.  If we need an archery mission, we know who to use.  So make your list, and send a runner with a copy.  If you don’t hear otherwise, your selections are final.  Anything else?”

             Don could think of nothing.  So Robert gathered his gear and walked towards the stables.  His horse must have been already saddled, because he soon reappeared, mounted his horse and was gone.  Don stopped and took a deep breath, thinking it might be the last time he would be able to stand still for a long time to come.

             He plunged into the most immediate tasks first.  He dispatched a message to Ariel asking Samuel if he could find Don a secretary, and advised that he needed someone to make three flags and send out invitations to all the usual dignitaries.  Then he met with the chief cook of the fort and told him to prepare an ox roast for 1,000 people to be ready on mid-day Saturday.  He walked quickly away, leaving the man speechless, possibly for the first time.

            Returning to the headquarters, he looked over the training records, including the notes made by Philip on Saturday.  He assigned the 35 recruits with the highest archery scores to Bow Troop.  He gave command to Blackie, since he was know as an excellent archer, and had done well as acting troop leader.  The Blades got the 35 recruits who scored the best in sword drill and the tournament, with command given to Slim.  The remaining 36 recruits he put in the ‘Lances’, which Don liked better than ‘Spears’.  Carl was given command.  He then assigned all the veterans, more or less randomly to bring the strength of each troop up to at least 50.  The Lances actually totaled 55, but that was not a problem.  He quickly dashed off a copy of the assignments, and dispatched another messenger to take it to Robert for review.