Chapter 16: The Ambassador

Don and Abel walked across the courtyard, a half step behind Samuel. They climbed the stairs in the tower, passed through the door into the cabin, and then along the hallway, and down the wooden stairs. They found themselves back in the small cabin, which was used as a kitchen and dining room. The windows made the dining room bright and airy, even in the evening. Two women were just lighting some oil lamps over a large table. The table was covered with a white cloth and set with 12 places. Another, smaller table was in the corner with four more plates.  

They were first introduced to the two women, who were obviously sisters. The taller was Lynn, Stanley's wife. Her handshake was firm, and her smile was sweet, but she had little time for small talk. The other was called Betsy, and she was Crispin's mother. 

"I can see that your son must be Crispin," observed Don, smiling. 

"The dimples, right?" she asked with a laugh. Don had to confess that it was the dimples, indeed, that had given her away. She was obviously the talker in the group. "So you are Donald, the loreman. I would have thought that at least you would have had more sense than to drag these girls out of a sickbed. Whatever possessed you to hurry them up here.... I just don't understand!" 

As she finished, with her hands on her hips, she saw Crispin being admitted through the front door. "There's that scamp, now," she added. 

"Later, Mama," laughed Crispin, walking in the front door. "You had better close the shutters, the light can be seen for forty miles." 

"You close them, dear," returned Betsy. "Then wash up for supper. We are almost ready to put it on the table. Have you seen Kelly?" 

"No, but I saw his tracks. He is scouting to the east, I think," said Crispin, as he hung his crossbow in a corner on a peg, and started around the cabin, closing the shutters. Don followed the others into the kitchen, and took turns washing in a pan, using warm water from a tea kettle from the stove. Don was sorry that he had not changed his clothes, and looked at himself, ruefully.  

Lynn caught his look just as she was putting a pan of biscuits on the top of the wood-burning kitchen range. They were steaming hot and fresh from the oven. "Donald," she said sweetly. " We won't be starting to eat for a few minutes. If you want to change clothes, you would have time. But you are fine, the way you are. I think the wardrobe in your room has clean clothing that would fit you." 

Don thanked her, and walked back through the two-story cabin to the keep and his room.  He peeled off his clothes, gave himself a quick rubdown with a damp cloth, and tried on the clothing. The shirt was a bit too big, but the trousers were a good fit. He pulled them on, as well as some slippers. He was glad to leave his boots at the foot of the bed. When he returned, the tables were filling up. Lynn was organizing the seating, and the girls had already made their entrance. Rachel gave him a quick smile, and took his hand. She was dressed in a simple long-sleeved light blue dress, with a bit of white lace at the collar and cuffs. 

"Glad to see you," said Don, smiling. "Are you staying in the keep?" 

"Not me," she said, with a little toss of her head. "Betsy said it is too cold. We have rooms in the big cabin. They are nice . . . Amber and I are sharing a room." 

Lynn touched Don's elbow. " I'd better set the two of you across from each other so you can talk." As she directed them to their seats, she pointed to a black-haired man standing by the smaller table. "Have you met Kelly?" 

Lynn introduced them, and Don shook his hand. Kelly was slightly taller than Don, and probably 25 pounds heavier, but certainly did not look fat. His face was weathered, the color of a brick, but his forehead was pale as a baby's. He wore no beard. He greeted Don with a quick grin that vanished as quickly as it came. "Glad to know you. And double glad that these fair ones made it safely! Let me know how I can help!" He patted Don's shoulder, as if congratulating him. Don murmured a few polite words, then they went to their respective seats.