Chapter 6: The Patrol

He awoke at the first light of dawn to feel a brusque shaking of his shoulder. "Come on, loreman," a low voice whispered. "They're bringin' up the horses now."

He struggled stiffly to his feet, brushing mechanically at the spruce needles clinging to his cloak. Black shapes moved among the trees, but the natural sounds of the night were stilled. In their place metal rang, brushes rustled, a horse snorted, and an occasional low voice could be heard. But no glow of fire showed, the only light coming dimly between the tree trunks from the east.

Following his companion's example, he armed himself. Over his padded war-tunic came the cold, heavy coat of mail. He donned the armor with a bit of a struggle, then buckled on his helm and belted his newly-sharpened sword at his side. Carrying a spear and kite shield, he moved down the hill to the saddles.

Gary John had accepted him into the troop two weeks earlier. The final test had started easily enough. The troop leader had  told him to prepare for a ten-day patrol. He was to catch and saddle his horse and draw from the armory and supply room whatever he thought he would need.

Don had simply followed his earlier training to the letter. He drew a provision sack (designed to be tied behind the cantle of the saddle, but which could be carried as a knapsack, at need). Into the sack he had put a leathern flask filled with water, hard biscuits, cheese, dried fruit, jerked meat, salt, tea, and a nose bag full of oats. The last was for his horse, Hardtack, but could be used to make a porridge in case of extreme need. Don added a small kit that included leather thongs, needle and thread, soap, a razor, liniment and bandages. This was for repairs to equipment or first aid to man or beast. At the fork of his saddle, he tied on a picket rope and hobbles. A cased bow rode on the right side of the saddle, together with a quiver full of arrows. When Don mounted, clad in armor and carrying his other weapons, Hardtack was carrying a heavy load, but the horse bore it lightly without apparent effort.

When Don had said that he was ready, Grey John inspected that equipment, checking all fasteners, ties and buckles. Then Don was asked to ride at speed through an obstacle course, which required several low jumps and ducking under bars hardly higher than Hardtack's withers. He then had to negotiate a mock combat course, involving the spear and sword. Finally, as a final test, Don had to simply gallop in a circle on the parade ground. Fortunately, the equipment was well packed and the only sound heard was the thud of hooves on packed earth. Rattles or jingles would have been fatal to his chances, since Grey John insisted on moving lightly and quietly.

Finally the old warrior had nodded and beckoned him to dismount. When Grey John shook his hand, there was nothing more to say or do. He had been accepted. In fact, that day had been a good one. Of the four trying out, three made it through the deceptively simple tests.

To cement the recognition, the armorer had immediately taken away Don's helm and soldered a silver disk on its front, bearing the sign of the scarlet axe. His new companions then slapped him on the back and showed him the latest troop style, involving the tying of his cheek pieces up in a raised position. This proved to be cooler, gave more freedom of movement, and better vision. The raised cheek pieces gave a winged look to the helms, which Gray John liked, though they would be lowered in battle or in the rain, he later learned.

Eleven days after acceptance, Don was called to go out with the full patrol, three troops strong, or about 150 men. Lord Cal was their leader and their objective was an inspection of the rolling park country to the west of the mountains. Once settled by peaceful people, the area was now held by no one. Herds of cattle and sheep, owned by freeholders loyal to Stonegate, did graze the area, but only under heavy guard. The bands of raiders that struck at eastern farms and settlements usually passed through this region from beyond the next range of mountains, still further west. The patrol was charged to discourage these ruthless bands by their presence, and, if possible, to intercept and punish them.