chapter 2: the westin melbourne hotel

Maybe they just haven't looked at the ceiling in a while...that's why it looks completely different... 

The prickly feeling of a carpeted floor could just be their pulse put into overdrive after dancing... 

The light could just seem extra bright from hitting their heads too hard against the ground, cause right now, in their dorm room, it's a dreary rainy Friday night...

They laid there on the ground were having a staring contest with the smooth ceiling, and only spoke up when they ran out of ways to convince themselves everything was fine.

"Valerie..." Say something...

"Alexandra..." No, you say something

A few more seconds go by before they start moving.

"Alexandra..." Are you seeing what I'm seeing?

"Valerie..." What the fck is going on?

They pulled themselves up from the floor to sit across each other on two full beds, something that was already different from their small dorm room beds. Valerie peered behind Alex to look at the sliding glass door that led to a balcony, and Alex studied the layout of the room behind Valerie, taking note of a personal bathroom next to another door--an exit.

A private bathroom...in our dorm? That doesn't make any sense, thought Alex.

She used her hand to feel for trauma around her head, "Maybe we have a concussion..."

This nursing major a*s bit*h, has to flex on me with her medical genius even in the middle of a crisis, Valerie thought. 

It wasn't impossible, but she's been concussed before, and never has she ever been in an entirely different setting before. A different person, yes; this one time she got concussed after a rugby game she was convinced she was Billie Eilish.

"Maybe the guys hotboxed the floor..."

This girl may be book smart but goddamn does she need help, Alex thought.

She jumped up, "--Oh my god are we high?!"

My lord, someone please help her. She's confused.

Without a warning Valerie grabbed the lamp from the side table separating the beds and threw it across the room, causing it to hit a wall and shatter.

"Val what fck?!"

Her expression is blank, voice quiet, "lamp's real..."

Alex couldn't process this fast enough, "Wait hold--OUCH!" she held her the side of her face.

"You're real..." 

Unapologetic for her slap, Valerie leans forward and points to a spot on her cheek identical to where she got Alex. It took Alex a moment to understand what she was asking for. Normally she's against violence, but she felt it right to return her the favor.

Expecting it, Valerie only needed a second to recoil before returning to her glossy composure. She looked at the broken lamp across the room, then at Alex, and then at her hands, then back to the side table where there still lay a landline telephone.

Alex pushed her off to the side as soon as her hand extended to the phone, "no! Not the phone too!"

"I wasn't gonna smash it!"  

"Too late," Alex pushed her out of her spot on the bed and picked up the phone expectantly. Expectantly for what? She wasn't sure.

"Dial 9 for assistance." Said the automated voice.