chapter 3: time traveling genius

They woke up that Friday morning like it was any other day. Alex had to prepare for her nursing placement and Valerie had early morning lectures. They attended classes, worked during their breaks, and went about their day to day habits like usual. They did nothing out of the ordinary; so imagine their surprise when they accidentally time-traveled 7 years into the past.

"You're smart!" 

"No you!"

"Alex, look at me!" Valerie used her hands to gesture to her appearance. She had been wearing ripped blue jeans and a navy blue sweater with tiny boats all over; since this beginning of this whole ordeal, her curly blonde hair has been knotted into a nest from all the head scratching and husband impersonating, "do I look like I know the first thing about time traveling!"

"Ugh, girl! Do I?!" she leaned herself on her side and gestured to her pink hello kitty pajama bottoms and highschool gym shirt. Her hair, too, was a frizzy mess. Valerie rolled her eyes, fair is fair...

They did nothing out of the ordinary, so how did they end up here?

"Hey!" Alex reached over and grabbed the luggage tag still attached to Valerie's pant loop. She's had her tag for years and held it millions of times before, but her eyes tried to verify what she was seeing as if it were the first time, "did you bring this with you?"

"Uhh yeah, I guess," Valerie flipped it and handed it back, "sorry, I forgot I still had it."

This, Alex thought, this is what brought us back

She got up from the bed, "you do realize this is the only other thing that came with us?"

Valerie stood up as well, starting at the tag in her friend's hand, "oh my god, and it's a luggage tag."

"It has the date--"

"--it has the location."

Valerie got so excited she climbed back on the bed triumphantly, "aha!"

"'Aha!' what?'' Alex said, slightly shook and taken aback by this sudden burst in energy.

"I'm not a bad dancer! Don't you see?!" She was looking like a crazy person with her wide eyes and frazzled appearance, but Alex held her tongue and listened to her ward.

"It's your tag, but both of us time traveled! We were singing and dancing together! And when we spun--" she tired reenacting the movement while keeping herself upright at the same time but nearly fell off the bed but luckily only took a knee. Alex was ready to help her off the bed but she regained he composure and bounced back up before she got the chance. 

"That's what did it! We manifested so hard it actually happened!" She whipped the hair out of her face and pointed a finger to Alex, "Who's the genius now!" No matter how many times she claimed it, Valerie's celebratory dancing on top of the bed contradicted her claim to have any skill in dance at all.

She may have two left feet, but the bi*ch is onto something.

"Ok, so what? We have to dance and sing the lyrics to time-travel?"

Her jumping stopped and to sound of panting replaced the sound of the bed squeaking. "Or just touching," she leap to the ground and gripped the other end of Alex's memento, "And hold the tag of course."

"'Of course'?" Alex said a bit sharply, thinking about what Valerie meant in the first place: There wouldn't be any other way this could have happened. And if there's a way to do it, there has to be a way to undo it. 

Both of them, as crazy as they thought it was, were holding onto the luggage tag with full belief. "Do you remember what song was playing? Which line?" said Alex, so lost in thought she forgot what they had to do.