Enemies to Friends

There was no reason for cruelty. And yet, as I stood at the end of the block watching a teen take his rage out on another, there seemed to be some sort of purpose for it. I approached the violent teen, careful to walk around the unconscious boys around him. Judging from his blue uniform, he attended Sarayashiki Junior High, though the kids at his feet were from a different school on the other side of town.

The orange haired teen had many bruises on his face, and a scowl that could break a mirror. I had seen this teen before, fighting thug teens from my own school. He was Kazuma Kuwabara and had walked me to my neighborhood a few times. The only problem was he was too violent, not pulling his punches from the teens that were obviously weaker than him.

"And just what do you want?!" He yelled, glaring down at me, "I'm on a time limit, you know!"

I stepped out of his way, watching him run down the sidewalk as fast as he possibly could. What a bizarre encounter. Shrugging it off, I moved around the rest of the unconscious group, heading to the library where my brother was waiting.

The entire day had been strange. I blamed it on lack of sleep, but there was no mistaking being stalked. My stalker never really showed himself, but I was fortunate to run into Kazuma. That seemed to have at least delay his prowling.

The sun had nearly disappeared entirely when I made it to the library. I hated going to the library. The terrible smell of dust and still air engulfed me the moment I stepped in. The only noise to be heard was the annoying buzzing of the overhead lights. The unflattering light only made the place more miserable. The carpet was worn, almost nonexistent in front of the bookshelves from people constantly pacing by.

There was a new librarian, I noticed. She was young, probably a new graduate from college. It didn't go unnoticed that the other bookworms were checking out the newest member of the wretched place. Her attention, when not on the books in front of her, was focused on a red head in the corner of the room surrounded by other teenage girls.

Disgusting.

If they knew how Shuichi acted at home, they wouldn't be so buddy buddy. Withholding my rage, I headed to the table, placing my bag in the remaining empty chair. Ignoring the looks, I headed to search for an autobiography, any autobiography.

Stupid book reports. At least it wasn't a group effort report. I would have chosen death before doing a book report in a group. The last report I was placed with Yu Kaito who refused to accept any work I put forth, claiming it was below his standards and that I should be smarter since I was the great Shuichi Minamino's twin.

My fury caused my body to shake as I glared at the books in front of me. Pointless.

"You okay, Pip?" Eiko asked. It was her touch that brought me from my enraged daze. My eyes moved from the books to my wrist where she had grabbed me.

Eiko was my best friend and very easy to read. The adorable brown haired girl had painted her nails, something she only did when she had been asked out. I moved my eyes to her brown gaze as she blushed under my knowing look.

"You don't know him," she mumbled, her face turning redder.

I didn't point out her fidgeting, her telltale of lying. My attention went back to the books as I tried to find some sort of interesting topic.

"When do I get to meet him?" I asked as I pulled a book about some millionaire from the shelf.

"It's not that serious," she replied, fidgeting still, though she had calmed down.

I smirked, "You gotta give me details, Eiko. Don't leave me in the dark on this."

A blissful sigh escaped her lips as she leaned against the bookshelf, a love-dazed look on her face, "He's wonderful, Pippa. He knows all the right words and really listens. Ugh, I wish you could meet him. He said he wants to go on a few dates before we start anything official, though."