Match One: The Fox vs the Time Bomb

I had basically abandoned my hotel room to stay with the girls. Botan was bitter for a while, but Yukina and Keiko's cheery attitude to have me around was enough to cheer up Botan. While Keiko complained and dreamed about Yusuke, Botan and Shizuru tried to explain to Yukina what a crush was, using Keiko and Yusuke as an example.

It made me wonder about the Koorime demons. Females that were able to reproduce on their own. Yukina's mother met a man and had twins. Hiei was an abomination, damned by the ice demons. Yukina would be treated the same way, but Yukina seemed easier to manipulate.

Manipulate was too harsh of a term.

There was already rebellion in Yukina's genes. Convincing her to stay in the Human World wouldn't be difficult, if she found the right reason to stay.

My thoughts stopped as a giant ball of energy near the beach could be seen from the window. That was Yusuke, no doubt about it. That...that was hope.

I smiled a bit, turning my attention to the girls in the room I had decided to protect for the final round of the tournament. Yes, we would win and everything would be fine. I didn't need a crystal ball for that.

When morning came, the five of us headed to the stadium, and I was the only one with a ticket.

Rather than abandon them, I waited outside, watching the large guard turn down demon after demon that didn't have tickets to get in.

"It sounds like it's impossible for us to get in," Yukina said sadly.

"I'm sorry, girls. I was so preoccupied when I spoke with Koenma that I totally forgot to ask him about tickets. I'm afraid we won't be able to watch the finals."

"Well, you know what they say," Shizuru cracked her knuckles, "Desperate times call for desperate measures."

"You're not going to charge the bouncer again, are you?" Keiko asked.

"Unless you have another bright idea."

Keiko frowned, defeated, "No."

"Attack is really our only option," Yukina said.

She sounded a bit too optimistic about the violence. Maybe the violence was cheering on whatever dark demon resided in all the creatures around us. It was actually kind of amusing.

"Why, Yukina! You're just full of surprises," Botan teased, making the ice maiden blush a bit.

"Well, how about that," Shizuru muttered.

I followed her gaze to a lizard in a suit that walked rather arrogantly toward us.

"I know you. You're that sleazy scalper who tried to con Koenma into buying those fourth-rate tickets," Botan stated.

He laughed, "How nice of you to remember me. I'm touched. I don't mean to sound presumptuous, but I couldn't help noticing you foxy ladies are in need of a hand, eh?"

"Well, we sure as hell don't need one of yours," Shizuru shot back.

"Oh, I see, my mistake. Well, then I guess you won't mind if I sold these elsewhere?" He pulled out four tickets.

"Um, are those what I think they are?" Keiko asked nervously.

"You bet they are, sweet-stuff, and they happen to be four of the best seats in the house," the lizard laughed. "And for you, I might be willing to part with these for about five thousand clams a piece."

Shizuru snatched them from him, "Geez, im such an idiot. Can you believe that the tickets were in my hand this entire time?"

"Hey, you better give those back!" The lizard yelled.