Prologue

I always thought that by the time i was part of the competition team ( also known as M.S.E.T), everything would be perfect. I'd get along with everyone, i'd be a really good rider, and would be riding the perfect horse that made us the ones to beat.

Instead, here i am with the Roan. He's one of the newest horses we have and far from ideal with his sunken flank, tired looking eyes, and the prison horse star on his shoulder. He isn't actually that old, he's only around seven, but by the way he acts and looks you'd think that he's atleast 20.

At my barn, MSET is what we call the top level of riders at the barn. There's an English team and a Western team and both teams are separated into upper and lower. The upper MSET kids are all the OGs, Elias, Brenna, Lilly, and Camilla for Western and Aubrey, Cadence, and Katie for English. 

The upper MSET is everyone that has been part of the MSET for at least 2 years. All of them are really good riders and trainers.

And then there's lower MSET, the level that was created for the kids that were to advanced to be with the Saddle club kids , but not quite good enough to be with the actual MSET. For lower MSET there's me, Alisa, and Anna ( we usually just call her Ann) in Western, and Aurelia, Celina, Anya, and Kaya in English.

I've always been pretty quiet and reserved around new people, but something about the upper MSET team just makes me go mute. Unfortunately for me, the Western upper and lower go to all of the clinics and events together, where as the upper and lower English go to separate ones.

But just because i might not talk a lot doesn't mean that i don't notice things about everyone and everything that's going on around me. 

And sometimes, silence can be used in your favor.