Newt

For the majority of the hour he had before the doctors came back, Newt drifted in and out of a light sleep. He only slept for a few minutes at a time, and when there was a brisk knock at the door, he was awake, staring at the ceiling.

He sprung off the bed, and dropped to his stomach. Then, brushing aside the silky bed skirt, he found a maroon backpack. Newt grabbed the bag and pulled it out from underneath the bed. Once back on his feet again, he went over to the door, turned the knob and pulled it forward.

On the other side of the door were both of the doctors, looking very anxious. It was dark in the hallway where they stood waiting for him and he could barely tell the difference between each of them.

"Let's go," Dr.Anderson whispered.

Newt walked out of the room and tried to close the door behind him as quietly as possible. He followed the doctors to the end of pitch black hallway until they reached the huge room Newt had seen earlier that day.

They lead him to the right, past what Newt thought was the piano. Eventually, they ended up in another hallway, only this one had no doors until the very end. When they reached the end of the hallway, Dr.Kerr, who was in front of the other two, opened the door and walked through it.

Newt felt a gust of fresh air come through the open door and then saw the stars up in the dark sky outside of the door. He realized that once they walked outside, they'd have escaped. It was all too simple.

Dr.Anderson went out next, then Newt. He was so happy to be outside, finally breathing fresh air once again.

The light given off by the stars was enough for Newt to see the barbed wire fence that he assumed surrounded the mansion. Outside of the fence was surrounded by patches of trees that had been able to withstand the last sun flares.

How would they get out of this place if it was surrounded by a a barbed fence?

"There's a fence," Newt stated his observation.

"Don't worry about that. Follow me," Dr.Anderson replied.

He started to run, and Newt did as he was told and followed. The three stopped at the edge of the fence, and when he got closer, Newt could see a tear in it, just above the ground. It would be big enough for a person to slip through.

"Newt, you go first," Dr.Kerr told him.

Newt took off his backpack and shoved it under the fence. He knew having it on would only make it more difficult to get to the other side, and it left him more liable to get caught in the loose wires. Newt crawled on his stomach under the sharp metal that was sticking out in all different directions where the fence had been torn apart.

While the two doctors wiggled their way to the other side, Newt realized how well thought out this escape was. The men must have been planning this for several weeks, much before he'd even woken from his coma.

"What way do we head?" Newt asked once they were standing next to him.

"That way," Dr.Anderson pointed, "northwest."

"We'll stop to take a break and eat at sunrise. I hope you're well rested, we won't get any sleep for about twenty four hours," Dr.Kerr said.

"Don't worry. I'm used to it," Newt responded curtly.

They started jogging in the direction Dr.Anderson had pointed towards. Newt found himself one or two steps behind the two men, his limp preventing him from keeping the same steady pace as they were. Thankfully, the doctors did not slow down out of pity, and kept running through the trees.