Chapter 15-First Battlefield

A year has passed, Haneul grew to become one of the most talented soldiers that Yuan has. She is even able to spar on one with Commander Jadan. She grew closer to Tal Tal. Her mind for revenge went without a trace from her mind. She changed her mind and chose to devote herself to Yuan. After all, she already learned the truth, her own country cast her away and forced her to be a spy. Her own country is the one responsible for her miserable past life. She thanked the deity for her meeting with Tal Tal. He already saved her and Byul. And about Byul, sometimes Haneul still misses Byul because he decided to left Yuan and went to explore the world.

Early in the morning, she was practicing with some Yuan soldiers. They can't keep track of Haneul movement and they always ended up in the ground.

"Urgh! Have mercy on us, lady Haneul!" All of them shouted together. While Haneul smiled and laughed at their complaint. Suddenly, she felt a gentle tap on her shoulder. She looked up and saw Tal Tal.

"Oh, morning general! What business do you have here?" She asked curiously.

"Come with me to the general Baek Ahn office." He said while walking away. She followed him in silence. He seems not in a great mood today. She wonders what is in his mind. They entered Baek Ahn's office.

"She is here, Sir." Tal Tal said with his stern expression. He seems to hold his resentment toward Baek Ahn.

'How strange.' Haneul thought, Tal Tal always looked up to his uncle and she hasn't seen his expression full of resentment towards Baek Ahn like this.

"Haneul, great, you're here. I just finished talking with Tal Tal. We have some problems near our border with Koryo. I'm planning to send you and Tal Tal to take care of this problem." Baek Ahn said.

Tal Tal replied sternly," As I just said, Sir, I completely disagree with this idea. Haneul just trained for a year. She's not ready to fight in a battle."

Baek Ahn replied back," Well, even though she only trained for a year, she already become one of our best soldiers. She surely will become a big help in the war field. Whatever you said, my decision is final and this is an order! You can't disobey it. Don't worry Tal Tal your plan surely will work and we'll win for sure."

Tal Tal replied."Very well, Sir."

Haneul can see Tal Tal still holding back his resentment and anger in front of General Baek Ahn.

"Sabonim, don't worry, I'll be fine. After all, I already trained hard for over a year." She smiled trying to assure Tal Tal.

Tal Tal replied angrily," You have no idea about the real battlefield. You're still naïve, maybe you're a former spy, but being a spy and a soldier is a complete two different things." He left Haneul speechless.

'He didn't need to be that angry,' Haneul frowned. Tal Tal went and arranged all the preparations needed for the battlefield. While Haneul went to grab her sword, bows, and other equipment that are necessary for war. The next morning, after all the preparations are complete, they went to the border where the rebels are. After a week of the journey, they finally arrived on the border and went out of the fortress(wall) that protect the Yuan area.

"We'll set a camp here, just put out a few torches to avoid being seen by the rebels!" Tal Tal ordered his soldiers. Hanel helped the soldiers setting up all camps. They finished building their camps while Tal Tal ordered the soldiers to line up to get the food. While they're lining up for the food, hundreds of arrows suddenly flying towards them. Haneul quickly got into the ground and crawl aways, luckily most of the arrows miss out on their target and a lot of Yuan soldiers still alive.

"Everyone quiet, don't move from your position!" Tal Tal ordered. While staying still in position, Haneul can see a lot of black shadows approaching them. Once they're near enough, Tal Tal shouted," Archers. Get into your position and fire them back! Others wait for my next instruction."

The archers' fire arrows towards the rebels, Haneul saw all the black shadows got shot and fall to the ground. "Soldiers, follow me now!" Tal Tal ordered. They went up to check if all the rebels already dead and to find survivor for questioning. Most of the rebels died, but one of them barely even alive, he stretched his bow aiming toward Haneul. It seems that this rebel thinks that at least she can eliminate one traitor before he died.