18

GREATNESS
— 18. Noose

 "King Alfred is in trouble," Lagertha had announced as she sat in a room with the usual group, speaking of what she had learned, "There are those here who want to overthrow him

"King Alfred is in trouble," Lagertha had announced as she sat in a room with the usual group, speaking of what she had learned, "There are those here who want to overthrow him. They think he is weak. They don't like the fact that he allows us to live here."

"But Bishop Heahmund said he'd protect us," Rorik complained as he turned to glance at his mother and father, both of them lying flat on the bed that was in the room together.

"He is imprisoned for murder and incapable of protecting anyone," Lagertha replied, causing Bjorn and Ylva to exchange a look with each other before sitting up.

"Perhaps we should never have come here," Torvi complained as everyone seemed to place their face in their hands.

"Tell me about it," Ylva muttered under her breath as she stared down at the ground.

"If we stayed in Norway, we would all be dead by now," Lagertha argued back as she glanced between Ylva and Torvi with an aggravated look on her face.

Ylva walked closer to the group and Bjorn was quick to join her. "It seems we are all at the mercy of circumstances beyond our control," Bjorn complained, trying to contain his annoyance.

"We have to pray to the gods that the King overcomes his enemies," Lagertha replied, lifting her cup of wine before she took a large sip of it.

"Pray?" Bjorn asked, letting out a large scoff, "Is that all we can do? Pray?"

"No, it is not," Gyda suddenly spoke up, causing the entire group to turn to her, "There is something else that we may do."

"And what may that be, daughter?" Ylva questioned, raising a brow at the girl.

Gyda remained silent, glancing between her mother and father, who was impatiently waiting for her to continue. She sighed deeply, just before speaking up. "The King has asked us to be baptized in the Christian faith," She informed them, only to have her parents laugh in amusement, "That way he can appease his enemies. He would no longer be supporting and harboring pagans, but fellow Christians."

"He asked you this personally?" Bjorn questioned his daughter as he raised a brow at her.

"Yes," Gyda replied softly, trying to hide her uneasiness when she noticed how her parents were eying her suspiciously.

"And did you tell him that there was no way that you would renounce our gods, daughter?" Bjorn asked and Gyda remained silent, "Did you? Your grandfather is in Valhalla. He's sitting beside the All-Father. He is sitting across from Thor. They are drinking together and they are happy together. Are you telling me that you don't believe it, Gyda?"

"I think what Gyda meant—" Rorik began to speak up to defend his older sister.

"Let your sister speak for herself," Bjorn demanded in a stern tone, causing Rorik to sigh in frustration, "What are you saying, Gyda?"