Chapter Eighteen: Memories and Trouble

I jogged down the hallway towards my boyfriend and his family's apartment, hoping to hang out with him and his thirteen year-old sister Octavia, who no one knew about except for me and his mother. Knocking on the door, I heard yelps die down, and I assumed that they were goofing around together. I heard their mother Aurora Blake call through the door, "Who's there?" Her voice was soft.
    "Its Shayla. Bellamy's friend." I responded.
    "Girlfriend." A deep voice inside corrected me. I smiled as the door opened and I looked up into Bellamy's smiling face. His normally unruly brown hair was combed straight up and when he leaned down to kiss me, I smelled the faint scent of sweat on his shirt. He took my hand and pulled me inside. "Hey you. How was work?" He asked, locking the door behind me.
    "It was alright. Same old same old stuff, you know?" I responded, sitting down next to his mother, who was sewing some guard uniforms. She smiled at me as I sat down, then I heard and excited cheer from behind me.
    "Shayla! You're here!" Octavia cheered, hugging my neck from behind. I laughed and turned in my seat to hug her better. She looked like a female version of Bellamy. Long, dark brown hair, deep brown eyes and a big smile. "I'm so glad you're here! Bellamy was about to take me on a ride through the jungle! Are you going to come?" She exclaimed, her smile stretching wide.
    "The jungle, huh? You know, I've always wanted to go there. But before we go, I have a little something for you. Since your birthday is in a few days, and I absolutely cannot wait, I'm gonna give it to you now." I said, pulling a small box from my pocket. Her eyes grew wide and her smile faded into a look of shock and awe.
    "What is it? What is it?" She asked, bouncing on her toes.
    "Well, you'll never find out until you open it, silly." I said. She took the box and tore away the paper, popped open the top and her mouth fell open. Aurora gasped and her hand covered her mouth. I felt Bellamy's hand resting on my shoulder as they all stared at Octavia's gift. It was a small golden necklace with a silver charm in the shape of a horse hanging from it. Small diamonds traced the outline of the charm and one was it's eye.
    I smiled at Octavias face as she slowly pulled it over her head. I heard a small cry from Aurora and looked over, seeing tears falling from her eyes. I frowned. "Are you okay? Did I say something?" I asked, worried that I might have done something. This woman was more of a mother than anyone else had ever been to me and it would hurt immensely if she was mad at me. She shook her head and her mouth opened and closed. Without a word, she wrapped me in a fierce hug. My eyes widened and I hugged her back. Confusion filled my mind and I looked up at Bellamy, who smiled down at me and kissed my cheek.
    As he pulled away, he whispered in my ear. "Octavia has never had anything quite as nice as that, so my mom's just happy, that's all." I blinked and hugged Aurora tightly. I let go with one arm and held it out to Octavia, who had tears in her eyes, too. She flung herself into my side and cried freely, her tears wetting my shirt. I hugged them both tightly, not wanting to ever let go. Bellamy slung his arms around my shoulders and rested his chin on my head. Aurora pulled away and wiped the tears from her face.
    "Shayla, you didn't need to do that! It must have cost-"
    "I'll stop you right there. It doesn't matter how much it cost. I just wanted Octavia to have something special. She deserves it for how amazing she is." I said, patting Octavias head. She turned to look up at me and smiled big.
    "I'm so glad my brother is dating you. And that we're friends." She whispered. Tears pricked at my own eyes and I grinned. I opened my mouth to reply, but Bell beat me to it.
    "I'm glad she said yes, that's all. I was terrified to ask her, O. Man you should've seen me, I was a nervous wreck!" He told his sister, who laughed along with me.
    "That was true. He was red in the face, and stammering and it was hilarious!" I put in. Bellamy faked mock hurt and turned away from me. I stuck my lower lip out in a pout and stood up, wrapping my arms around his waist from behind. "You know I love you, babe. That's why I feel bad about this," I shook my head and he glanced down at me, worry on his face. I smiled slyly. "Octavia, tickle him!" I cried out, pinning his arms down. Octavia shrieked and lunged at her brother, scratching her fingers in his sides and under his arms. Bellamy yelped. We managed to tackle him to the ground and he was struggling to escape, laughing the entire time. Tears ran down his face as he did. He managed to get an arm free and shove me off of him. He scooped Octavia up in his arms and plopped her down on the bed with a squeal.
    Turning to me, he had a scary grin on his face. Grabbing my ankles, he pulled me across the floor towards him and slumped against me, maneuvering his arms down my sides to a ticklish spot on my waist. I yelped and tried to scramble away, but all of his eighteen year old weight was pressed down on me and I couldn't move.
    "You love me, huh? You turned me own sister against me, ye scurvy wench!" He cried out in his pirate voice. I giggled and kissed him. He stopped tickling me and brought his hand up to my face. I quickly flipped him onto his back and sat on his chest, holding his arms up. Shock was written in his face and I smirked down at him.
    "How's that for love, Bellamy? You let your girlfriend take you down!" Aurora laughed. I laughed along with her. Bellamy frowned and looked away from me. I smiled and snuggled on his chest, rubbing my nose against his. He rolled his eyes and gave me a peck on the nose.  
    I grinned happily and stood up, reaching down to help him. He took my hand and when he was standing, pulled me close with a hand on my waist. I pushed him away lightly.
    "Not now, you goof." I whispered softly, stepping away. He feigned sadness and sat down on the bed next to Octavia. He took my hand and pulled me down on his lap. Aurora glanced up at the clock and sighed, turning to face us.
    "It's time Octavia." She said grimly, scooting her chair back. My shoulders slumped and I got up to help Bellamy move the table aside.
    "No please mom. I don't want to! How do you even know?" She asked as her mother moved to her, hugging Octavia tight.
    "Yea mom, tell us why you're never surprised by surprise inspections." Bellamy muttered as we lifted the table up and moved it against the far wall.
    "Mind yourself, young man. Now tell your sister what happens if the Inspector finds her." Aurora said, not looking at either of us as she stared at her daughter.
    "She knows. You've told her a thousand times." He sighed. I leaned down and opened the small hatch in the floor and held out my hand to Octavia. "You know the drill." Bellamy stood above me, his arms crossed.
    "Well I hate the drill. Sometimes I wish I was never born." She said sadly. My fingers curled into my palm and I looked away. I blinked away the tears and looked up at Bell, who was staring at his sister. Aurora grabbed her daughter by the arms and shook her lightly.
    "Stop that right now. I know you're scared, but fear is a demon. Close your eyes and tell yourself that you are not afraid. That is how you slay the demon." There was a knock on the door as Octavia walked over to the hatch. "Now say it." Aurora finished. Once Octavia had, she kissed her mother and took my hand. I helped her down and settled her inside with her stuffed animal, and grasped her hand.
    "You're going to be just fine. You're so brave." I whispered to her, and she nodded, screwing her eyes shut. I stood up and Bell closed the hatch and we moved the table back into place fast. I sat down on the bed with Bellamy beside me as Aurora opened the door. I linked my fingers with his and prayed silently, like I always did when this happened.
    "Ms. Blake, by order of the Council, we are here to preform a random inspection." Three guards came inside, two started searching, and the one who had spoken, an older, balding man, stepped forward to talk with Aurora.
    "Inspector Grus, it's good to see you." She said. Bellamy pinched my knee and when I looked at him, he nodded his head toward the hatch. I glanced at it and my eyes widened. I saw the tassel from her toy sticking through the crack in the floor. I released Bell's hand and went to sit in the chair at the table, placing my foot over it. I saw my boyfriend relax as he tuned into what was going on with the guards.
    Aurora was gathering up his uniform that she'd been working on when I got there earlier. "Just like new." She said as she handed it to him and sidled closer. "Do you have something for me?" She asked quietly. I saw the inspector reach behind her and grope at her rear. My eyes widened with horror and I looked at Bellamy, who shook his head slightly and looked away. Aurora's eyes hardened, but she didn't move away. "I meant Bellamy's letter of recommendation." She said firmly.
    The inspector moved aside and glanced me over with an interested look, before turning to Bellamy. My stomach roiled at the look in his eyes when he saw me. "You think you're guard material, kid? Come here so I can take a look at you." He ordered. Bellamy glanced at me and must've seen a sick look on my face, because when he got up, he brushed his fingers protectively against my shoulder as he walked forward. Aurora had a big smile on her face as he came. The inspector glanced him over and nodded. "You can take your seat again, boy." He directed. Bellamy came back and sat down heavily on the bed. He reached out and pulled me next to him, keeping an arm around my shoulders as he glared in Grus's direction. He muttered something to Aurora, and then he and his goons left. Aurora locked the door behind him and slumped against it, her face relieved.