Not Good Enough

“This is disappointing,” Father said in that calm voice that made me want to break down crying. He threw down the slip of paper, with the grades I foolishly thought were good enough, on the table.

“I’m sorry,” I said quietly, my head bowed before my entire family.

“I’m going to get you a tutor. You need one,” he said, shaking his head. “We have been working with the Ootori family lately. Their third son should suffice.” I felt my cheeks start to burn at the backhand insult to both of us.

I gathered up my courage. “Yes, father,” I said, nodding and departing from the room with the bored looks of my siblings and the uncaring look of my mother heavy on my back.

I fled to my room, but I could find no comfort there. The room was too large to soothe me. A sitting room which held a desk and several chairs led into my too-large bedroom. The bed itself was a queen, way to large for my tastes, and adorned with a black bedspread and several large white pillows. A wall of windows sat kitty-corner to that, with black floor-to ceiling curtains that were currently closed. In front of the wall sat a vast array of instruments, including a grand piano, cello, and others, in various degrees of formation. There was also a large wardrobe and bureau, complete with mirror, on one wall. A glass coffee table with two modern-style chairs and sleek couch, all of these being black or white, sat off-center in the room. The tables and most of the chairs were stacked high with books. Regardless, of this furniture, the room was still vastly unoccupied. A few paces from the bed, a set of double doors marred the sleek surface of my walls. They opened into my, once again, too-large walk-in closet. The only other set of doors was the opening to my too-large bathroom

Too-large is kind of a theme in my house.

I sighed and looked at the modern-style clock situated above my bed. “I should go to bed…” the thought trailed off inside my head. I glided to me closet and threw open the doors. A gown sat on the first hanger to the right. I wiggled out of my clothes and through that nightgown on, now coated in a soft blue color. I left the clothes on the floor and the doors open, knowing full well everything would be restored to perfection by the morning. As I climbed into bed, I though about attending Ouran the next day. I knew that the second quarter would have to be better than the first, even if the first was almost perfect.

I woke up the next morning from a night of dreamless sleep. I immediately went to the shower, knowing that being late to breakfast would not be tolerated by my father. I stood in the shower for longer than necessary, running my hands through my steaming hair and thinking. Undoubtedly I would have to meet the Ootori son today. When Father said something was going to happen, it got done soon. I rather flew out of the shower in my haste to get downstairs. I quick-dried myself as best as I could and slipped on my fake Ouran uniform. This was one of the times I was thankful that my father took little interest in my life. He hadn’t been to my school once and had no idea that I had altered the school’s yellow monstrosity. Instead of the puffy sleeves, I had opted for a regular sleeve. The bottom section of the dress was the same but didn’t puff out and hung straight, or nearly straight, down. On a whim I doubted I would pay for later, I left without family breakfast to school. They probably didn’t notice my absence.

I gratefully stepped into the cool darkness of the limo. The door closed behind me, the engine revved, and I was on my way to Ouran PrivateHigh School.

The door opened less than a minute after the limo stopped. Sometimes I wondered if I had two chauffeurs, they were so fast. I nodded to the man who stood holding the car door open.

“Miss Densetsu,” he said, “Your father instructed me to tell you to meet Master Ootori in Music Room #3 two hours after school ended. He also wanted me to convey to you that the two hours should be spent practicing piano, cello, or violin, preferably all three.”